New Discussion

MSR 20 Router, configure WAN/LAN port 1 as LAN port with DHCP server & firewall

SOLVED
Go to solution
lorn10
Valued Contributor

MSR 20 Router, configure WAN/LAN port 1 as LAN port with DHCP server & firewall

Hi there, a happy new year to all!

I have the following question, - is it possible to configure one of the two WAN/LAN ports on a MSR 20 router as a normal (internal) LAN port with DHCP server enabled? Or will this only work with a separate SIC LAN port interface card (which includes normal switching LAN ports)?

Effectively I want to have WAN port 0 as normal WAN port for the cable modem and WAN port 1 as a internal LAN port with DHCP & firewall enabled. On this port I will connect a 3Com 4800G 48port PoE Switch.

Note, I was able to configure WAN Port 1 as Ethernet port (with and internal IP address 192.168.1.8) and access it over Web UI. But I was NOT able to configure DHCP on it because it seems defined still as a WAN port and not as LAN port.

Any help is welcome! CLI examples are awaited eagerly. ;-)

Best regards
lorn10

1 REPLY 1
lorn10
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: MSR 20 Router, configure WAN/LAN port 1 as LAN port with DHCP server & firewall

Well, - it works now. After intensive testing I have found a solution. J

Despite the somewhat misleading naming scheme, these “WAN ports” can be absolutely configured as normal LAN ports with DHCP service enabled. So in this case, they act effectively more like normal LAN ports then typical “WAN ports”. ;-)

Under system-view I had to enable dhcp:

dhcp enable

Then I had to setup a specific “dhcp pool”, in this example it is called “xyz”.

dhcp server ip-pool xyz
network 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

And that’s it. After these steps the dhcp is working. ;-)

Well, the internet is currently not working but that’s a different problem. I think there is something wrong with my routing table, the DNS configuration or something else. Whatever I will post that problem in a different topic.