6023 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PORT HYBRID ISSUE WITH AN IMAGE APPLICATION

Adriano-Pellegr
Occasional Advisor

PORT HYBRID ISSUE WITH AN IMAGE APPLICATION

Hi there,

We have an issue with our HP environemnt network. When I configure hybrid port on my HP 5120 Switch one of the apllcation that runs with 3d Images becames slowing and when I configure as access port no problem occurs.

The IP  phone is provide by Cisco and the configuration of the Hybrid port is:

description VLAN_DESKTOP_BL_G
port link-type hybrid
undo port hybrid vlan 1
port hybrid vlan 602 untagged
port hybrid pvid vlan 602
voice vlan 603 enable
poe enable
stp edged-port enable
lldp compliance admin-status cdp txrx
#

The application is called Impax and it´s from Agfa Company

This is an example of the application running: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj56XAmQBc

What could be wrong with my Hybrid configuration port?!!..   Is anyone has a tip??

My best regards

Adriano

8 REPLIES 8
sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi Adriano-Pellegr,

Sounds wierd. When you configure the port as access, do you plug the PC directly into the port?

Some older phones only have 100Mbit/s switches build in, so by pluggin in the phone - you also - "accidentialy" - downgrade the 1Gbit/s links of the 5120 to a 100Mbit/s link.

Maybe you could show us the setup + switchport config (with hybird and with access)

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

* try to get rid of the voice vlan configuration you are currently using, it is not the best implementation I heard.

(voice vlan 603 enable).

* Recommended voice vlan configuration now is:

- statically permit the voice vlan ID as tagged on the hybrid port

- configured lldp to send this VLAN ID as voice vlan

- DO NOT USE the voice vlan command

* Sample configuration for DATA vlan 10 and VOICE vlan 20:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
 port link-type hybrid
 undo port hybrid vlan 1
 port hybrid vlan 20 tagged
 port hybrid vlan 10 untagged
 port hybrid pvid vlan 10
 lldp voice-vlan 20

* background: the voice vlan command was original developed to make voice over IP work even when phones did not support LLDP. This is why the command set is focused on MAC OUI ranges. However, the actual packet inspection of normal vs voice traffic would not be done by the hardware, but by the CPU (software), so once you use this voice-vlan command, all the incoming traffic of the port would be processed by the CPU (to detect the voice traffic matching the source MAC range). I believe this can explain the slow behavior of your traffic. (since it is CPU processed).

Please try the alternative method (hardware only) and let us know if your performance is normal again,

best regards,Peter

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Is there a Procurve version of the "lldp voice-vlan 20" command?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

This is a fantastic bit of knowledge - thanks.

The other thing I'd like to know is this - why use "hybrid"?

Wouldn't it be easier just to use:

port link-type trunk

vlan10 untagged

vlan20 tagged

lldp voice-vlan 20

Looks simpler, no?

FabianoCh
Advisor

Peter if the problem is the packets inspection you can use the command "undo voice vlan security enable". This command disable packets inspection for voice packets. This way, the packets in the voice vlan are forwarded without comparing their souce MAC address against the OUI addresses configured in the switch.  OUI addresses configured using the command VOICE VLAN MAC-ADDRESS <OUI> are used to automatic assing a port in the VOICE VLAN. You can, instead, use the command VOICE VLAN TRACK LLDP  (system mode) to enable the switch to automatically recognize IP Phones compatible with LLDP. So you don't need to use the VOICE VLAN MAC-ADDRESS <OUI> anymore to inform the switch about the mac-address of your ip phones.  On the interface where your IP Phone is installed you use the command VOICE VLAN <ID-VOICE-VLAN> ENABLE.  Once the lldp recongnizes that you have an ip phone on that port, the port will automatically join the voice vlan and improve transmission priority.

So I am trying to understand about the new recommended voice vlan configuration. Am I missing something ?

Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

I am watching your discussion results (voice vlan implementation) and it is quite interesting from HPN 

switching support side. 

You are comparing two different way to approach voice vlan working and curent this is not included in any offical HPN docs(!).

Do you think CMW5 and CMW7 voice vlan implementation should be  covered by any HP TCG avaiable for public review?

I hope to see such HPN document soon with all configuration aspects included...

Mike

FabianoCh
Advisor

Mike, does HP has a recommended configuration to implement voice VLAN ?
Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Previously I found a great doc from HP where you could search for "approved" designs which also included configuration examples of each design.

For example you want to run vmware and use iscsi blablabla and then you got a list of what equipment would be needed to do so including the configuration needed on each device.

Hopefully there exists a similar doc for "approved" voip configuratons when using HP Networking equipment.

Bonusquestion: Anyone got a link of that design document Im refering to (I have lost the link, as I recall it it was several hundreds of pages long).