1752292 Members
4585 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Packet forwarding

nhudon
Occasional Advisor

Packet forwarding

We are using Zenworks configuration management and we have 4400 and 4500 switches.

With Zenworks, we want to use Wake On LAN to boot devices in the morning on different VLANs.

Everything is supposed to work fine but it seems that WOL broadcast paquet don't go through switches.

Where should I look in those switches to be sure that packet forwarding is OK ?

Thanks for you r help.
4 REPLIES 4
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

The purpose of VLAN's is to prevent L2 Broadcast packets from forwarding/leaking beyond their VLAN domain into another VLAN on any switch. Certain Layer 3 broadcasts can i.e DHCP, NetBios etc. To forward DHCP requests you need routing enabled and for example something like DHCP relay for DHCP or Netbio relay for Netbios.

Not sure how Zenworks works for WOL but regardless it it would need a L3 config of some desctription to get these packets to another Subnet/VLAN.

Shirin
Frequent Advisor

the 4400 is only a Layer 2 switch. The 4500 is layer 2 and layer 3 switch. You need first to route between the VLAN where you want to use WoL. Then look at the vlan interface in the 4500 if the command "ip directed-broadcas" works/is supported. If it does then that that's all what you need.

If not, then have the WoL works in multicast. You will still have to establish routing between the VLAN and multicast routing between the vlan where you want to use WoL

nhudon
Occasional Advisor

I'm not very familiar with 3Com switch.

If I understand what you said, nothing needs to be configured in 4400 switches ? Broadcast packets are supposed to go trough those switches without any configuration ?

For 4500 switches, under port - Administration, I can see port details and I can select Broadcast Suppression details. Each port is set to 3000 (PPS) and port 25 to 28 are set to 28. Is it OK ?

Where should I look for something else ?

Thanks for your help.

nhudon
Occasional Advisor

I looked in the 4500 switch documentation and the ip forward-broadcast command is not supported.

Where should I configure multicast routing ?

Thanks.