1751889 Members
5214 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with AP Roaming on HP 5120

Michel_E
Occasional Visitor

Problem with AP Roaming on HP 5120

Hello, I'm having trouble in my warehouse. I have 3 ap that broadcast the same SSID. Therefore I expect my devices to roam between APs. There is no controller managing the APs, they're all stand-alone.

They are regularly disconnected. And I have theese messages. There's no loop whatsoever. I believe there is an arp command that can help me but I can't figure which one.

%Apr 8 00:55:47:352 2015 SYSNAME ARP/5/ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT: Detected an IP address conflict. The device with MAC address 0045-7089-8f75 connected to GigabitEthernet1/0/10 in VLAN 31 and the device with MAC address 0045-7089-8f75 connected to GigabitEthernet1/0/7 in VLAN 31 are using the same IP address 10.31.148.20.

%Apr 8 00:48:36:856 2015 SYSNAME ARP/5/ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT: Detected an IP address conflict. The device with MAC address 0045-7038-f097 connected to GigabitEthernet1/0/9 in VLAN 31 and the device with MAC address 0045-7038-f097 connected to GigabitEthernet1/0/10 in VLAN 31 are using the same IP address 10.31.148.23.

My 3 APs are on port 1/0/7 1/0/9 and 1/0/10. Devices get their addresses with an 8-day long DHCP lease.

I already tried, without success : "mac-address mac-roaming enable"

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. 

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/7
   description WIFI 
   port access vlan 31
   loopback-detection enable
   loopback-detection action shutdown 
   broadcast-suppression 20
   multicast-suppression 20
   poe enable
   stp edged-port enable
   undo lldp enable

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Can you run try this command:

mac-address mac-move fast-update

This will trigger the ARP table to be updated at the moment the Layer2 MAC is learned on a different port,

best regards,Peter

Michel_E
Occasional Visitor

Hi, thank for your reply,

Unfortunately this command is not present on the HP5120 Version 5.20.99, Release 2220P02 Bootrom 618 (do I need an upgrade ?)

I have this when i type "mac-address ?"

[TOURLAVILLE_TA] mac-address ?

blackhole                     Blackhole entry, without aging, can be added/deleted, saved to the configuration file
destination-hit          Hit destination MAC addresses
dynamic                       Dynamic entry, with aging, can be added/deleted, lost after reset
information                Configure MAC information function
mac-learning             Hardware MAC address learning
mac-roaming             Configure mac roaming
multicast                     Multicast entry, without aging, can be added/deleted, saved to the configuration file
static                             Static entry, without aging, can be added/deleted, saved to the configuration file
station-move            station-move
timer                            Configure timer

Hence the available commands that could look useful : 

mac-address station-move quick-notify enable

mac-address mac-roaming enable

mac-address mac-learning disable

mac-address destination-hit disable

mac-address the rest is pretty self explanatory

When an interface is selected the following commands are available : 

[TOURLAVILLE_TA-if-range] mac-address ?

dynamic                       Dynamic entry, with aging, can be added/deleted, lost after reset
information                Configure MAC information function
mac-learning             Hardware MAC address learning
multicast                     Multicast entry, without aging, can be added/deleted, saved to the configuration file
static                             Static entry, without aging, can be added/deleted, saved to the configuration file

I can't see anything useful by myself within theese choices...

Bastiaan v H
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

We are experiancing the exact same issue's on the same switch. Have you found an solution for it?

Kind Regards,

Bastiaan

Laurent1

I have exactly the same issues. 1 SSID broadcasted across 3 Apple Extreme AP with the base station in bridge mode connected to the HP with the wire cable. When I connect the second AP to the HP A5210 I get exactly the same error message as described here "ARP/5/ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT: Detected an IP address conflict". Tried also mac-address station-move quick-notify enable but this does not address the issue.  The solution from now is to leave the 2 AP to connect to the base station using the wifi ac but I would prefer to use a wire cable to connect all of them to the HP switch.

johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hello !

What is the version of the firmware?

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I think this command is more related to your case:

mac-address mac-roaming enable

For more information see https://abouthpnetworking.com/2014/10/09/comware-irf-l2-mac-address-roaming/

However reading the log message "ARP/5/ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT: Detected an IP address conflict" its actually from the "arp" engine and not the "mac-address" engine.

So its in the "arp" settings we should look for a solution and not in the "mac-address" configuration.

I think this command would be even more related to your situation:

undo arp ip-conflict prompt

Something else you should consider is to configure your switch with an ip address which isnt in range of the ip addresses used by your wireless-clients.

That is the VLAN used for your AP's would be a pure L2 VLAN (with no VLAN interface configured for this VLAN) and instead create a dedicated mgmt-vlan to be used for management (and logging, clocksynchronization etc) purposes.

At least this would stop your HP5120 from logging this event since the VLAN where the AP's would sit on wont have any VLAN interface setup and because of this no ARP cache and because of this no detection of arp ip-conflicts.