3199 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problem with Bi Directional Optics

GKF
Visitor

Thanks David.

All the marketing talks about Simple, Open, Agile .....etc, and yet, as you pointed out, we have 2 product lines with different accessories and different CLI's (although it looks like some basic stuff has been done around that). I have got to the stage where when I work with a customer I try to do either Provision or Comware, but not both. If i do have to mix them, then I normally use Procurve optics as these will normally work in Comware switches and Provision Switches, but the Provision switches lock out the Comware optics. Not a good look.

On the Fibre front, single strand last mile is becoming more common, and everyone is moving to SMF. Our Telco's are rolling out fibre to the door at the moment with business area's being the first cabs off the rank. This is all single strand. in addition to that, a lot of dark fibre being leased is single strand. 

5500 and 5820's are key goto switches in our market for small cores, and demand for 1G  and 10G bi-di is growing. Hope our 10G Bi Di optics are going to launch soon. 

Thanks for the help

Cheers

G

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Im currently using this BiDi (BX) optic in a A5820-24XG-SFP+ Switch (JC102A):

SWELASER
SWL SFP10G-BX-40K-37
10GBASE 40km DDM CE
Tx: 1330 Rx: 1270 H3C

The other side must (for obvious reasons :-) have the opposite setup that is:

Tx: 1270 Rx: 1330 H3C

It seems that HP doesnt offer any 10G BiDi (BX) interfaces themselfs (http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/accessories/index.aspx#transceivers) so you are basically forced to use 3rd party optics so make sure you have a warranty (from the optics vendor) so you can replace the optics in case HP goes the same nasty road as Cisco and start to block optics which isnt overprized. Also when you plan to update the firmware - test it first on one device to make sure HP didnt sneak out any blocking code in the "update".