6150 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

QoS configuration

Suzuki_NTUX
Occasional Advisor

QoS configuration

Helo all!

i'm new to configure QoS on switches HP. I have one HP 5130 and some HP 1910. I try to found a QoS configuration to my hp 5130 but i saw a lot of foruns but i have a lot of doubts. Is it possible to anyone help me with this situation?

I do'nt have a voice vlan, i just use vlan default with softphones.  The man who sold this solution send me some data to configuration:

cos_sip=4 ; Sets 802.1p priority for SIP packets.
cos_audio=5 ; Sets 802.1p priority for RTP audio packets.
cos_video=6 ; Sets 802.1p priority for RTP video packets.
cos_text=3 ; Sets 802.1p priority for RTP text packets.

tos_sip=cs3 ; Sets TOS for SIP packets.
tos_audio=ef ; Sets TOS for RTP audio packets.
tos_video=af41 ; Sets TOS for RTP video packets.
tos_text=af41 ; Sets TOS for RTP text packets.

I don't have any knoledge on QoS configuration, but i read than i can configure with qos trust dscp on all interfaces and this is will resolve my issue. Is it right?

Regards,

Suzuki_NTUX

3 REPLIES 3
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: QoS configuration

Howdy,

There are all kinds of books, blogs, training courses and articles dedicated to the subject of QoS.

Ask yourself a couple of questions before you begin:

1) Are your users getting a "bad" experience from the service?

2) Is this bad experience caused by occasionally not enough bandwidth being available some of the time?  

To be honest you shouldn't really need QoS on a LAN unless you have a niche case as you should almost always be able to add more bandwidth to get yourself out of trouble. QoS doesn't solve ageneral lack of bandwidth issue - it just smoothes out the occasional peak load.

As long as your packets that you are trying to prioritise have the correct "EF" markings (look it up or watch a good video on YouTube) and don't need remarking or suchlike a minimal configuration like this below will probably be enough.

qos wrr
qos wrr 5 group sp
qos gts queue 5 cir <Guaranteed Bandwidth in Kb - maybe give it 10% of the port speed>
qos trust dscp

I often refer people to do a search for the "snackarelli qos hp" and "wantegrity qos" blog articles for further background.

The 5130ei QoS & ACL Configuration Guide has good coverage of the topic. Follow the links from the 5130ei product page through support/Manuals into "setup and Install - General" and then you should see the manuals.

Thanks

Ian

Hope that halps - please give Kudos below if it does.

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Suzuki_NTUX
Occasional Advisor

Ian,

i don't have any trouble because i start a POC with 8 softphones but in the future i believe we have 300 softphones on my lan. All comunication between distributions switches are Gigabyte and i have a Ten Giga between two 5130.

That configuration than you sent me i have to add on my switch and configure with command qos trust dscp on all interfaces?

qos wrr
qos wrr 5 group sp
qos gts queue 5 cir <Guaranteed Bandwidth in Kb - maybe give it 10% of the port speed>
qos trust dscp

Regards,

Suzuki

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Let us say that each phone is running without compression or optimisation for a worst case scenario. It will still only be 64Kb per stream.

Even if all of your 300 softphones were sat on one link that would only come to just over 19Mb. So if you standardise at guaranteeing 10% of the link for VOIP and monitor your queues (remember "EF" traffic is mapped into queue 5) you should be in a good place.

Don't forget that you can use "ping -Q 184 <IP address>" from a linux machine to create DSCP "EF" marked traffic to test your configurations are working and that the correct queue counters are incrementing as the traffic flows through the network.

HTH  - KIID (Kudos if it did)

Ian 

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me