7173 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Qos with voice traffic

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Qos with voice traffic

Hello world!

A customer wants to configure QoS for his new implemented ip phones. Also there will be PC's connected behind the iphones. We are using 5130 and 1920 switches.

Can somone give me an example how to configure this properly? At the moment there is just a vlan named voice. And i want to configre the ports as trunk and not use hybrid ports.

What is the most efficient and easy way to configure this? I guess we need a voice vlan to start with?

Lets say that we have 2 vlans:

vlan 10 : clients 

Vlan 20: IP phones

Thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES 14
Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Hello,

In fact there is no difference if you use hybrid port with tagged vlan(s) or trunk port where you tag by default one vlan (for Comware 5130).

Regarding new IP Phone's,  do you consider LLDP-MED for voice vlan?

Not sure if 1920 switch supports this protocol, but 5130 for sure yes.

Michal

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hello

Thanks for your response!

I need a solution that both switches support. the customer has more 1920 switches then 5130 switches. But i use the CLI on both switches.

And i never configured QoS so i have no clue of how to set this up properly. That's why i'm looking for an example. When i look this up on Google, it confuses me more with all those policies, queues, etc. 

I thought making a voice vlan and configure dcsp trust somwhere, or somthing like that. I really need a good example.

Thanks

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hello

I found somthing, but i am wondering if this is good enough.

When i make a new vlan like this:

vlan 20
name VoIP
quit
voice vlan 20 enable

Will this do the trick?

Thanks in advance!

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Mike_ES wrote:

Regarding new IP Phone's,  do you consider LLDP-MED for voice vlan?

Not sure if 1920 switch supports this protocol, but 5130 for sure yes.

Michal

Hi Michal, I'm was quite sure that HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Swith Series doesn't support LLDP-MED (but it supports LLDP).

Edit: mmm...I probably missed something because...looking at LLDP Port Settings there is a "+ Additional TLV Settings" menu that permits to enable LLDP-MED Capabilities...that's interesting because it could be related to a question I wrote here regarding the usage of a little HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch when deploying VSF on 5400R zl2 Switches + with it as a MED Device instead of using something bigger like the Aruba 2960.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
parnassus
Honored Contributor

There are two nice and not too long Chapters "Configuring a voice VLAN" and "Configuring QoS" on the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series User Guide...the former looks simple, the latter (about the QoS) is a little bit more complex (and not specifically written about the case of VoIP QoS in LAN environments).

I'm not an HPE Employee
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

So is it correct when i say, that when i only configure a voice vlan as discribed in that guide. The traffic for voice will be prioritised?  

I do not need to configure specific QoS commands?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well...it's not clear.

The manual just says:

"A voice VLAN is configured for voice traffic. After assigning the ports that connect to voice devices to a voice VLAN, the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic, to improve the transmission priority of voice traffic and ensure voice quality."

But no details about what QoS parameters are then altered by the Switch...and that automatically into the statement "...the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic..." and is a little bit misterious (maybe a diff about Switch config before/after activating Voice VLAN could shed some light on that).

I can't believe - but I could be totally wrong - that simply enabling a Voice VLAN then automatically let the Switch to create a sort of pre-configured QoS Policy with Class, Traffic Behaviour and Policy on all Voice VLAN ports (as should be done following User Guide instructions).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Hi Michal, I'mwas quite sure that HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Swith Series doesn't support LLDP-MED (but it supports LLDP).

Edit:mmm...I probably missed something because...looking at LLDP Port Settings there is a "+ Additional TLV Settings" menu that permits to enable LLDP-MED Capabilities...that's interesting because it could be related to a question I wrote here regarding the usage of a little HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch when deploying VSF on 5400R zl2 Switches + with it as a MED Device instead of using something bigger like the Aruba 2960.

Hi ,

Could you please screenshoot exact menu options that you are able to choose ((Additional TLV Settings)?

Michal

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

@parnassus wrote:

Well...it's not clear.

The manual just says:

"A voice VLAN is configured for voice traffic. After assigning the ports that connect to voice devices to a voice VLAN, the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic, to improve the transmission priority of voice traffic and ensure voice quality."

But no details about what QoS parameters are then altered by the Switch...and that automatically into the statement "...the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic..." and is a little bit misterious (maybe a diff about Switch config before/after activating Voice VLAN could shed some light on that).

I can't believe - but I could be totally wrong - that simply enabling a Voice VLAN then automatically let the Switch to create a sort of pre-configured QoS Policy with Class, Traffic Behaviour and Policy on all Voice VLAN ports (as should be done following User Guide instructions).

yes, that's why i created this post, because i'm not sure either. :/

Can someone confirm this?

Kind regards