Comware Based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qos with voice traffic

 
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Qos with voice traffic

Hello world!

A customer wants to configure QoS for his new implemented ip phones. Also there will be PC's connected behind the iphones. We are using 5130 and 1920 switches.

Can somone give me an example how to configure this properly? At the moment there is just a vlan named voice. And i want to configre the ports as trunk and not use hybrid ports.

What is the most efficient and easy way to configure this? I guess we need a voice vlan to start with?

Lets say that we have 2 vlans:

vlan 10 : clients 

Vlan 20: IP phones

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

14 REPLIES
Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Hello,

In fact there is no difference if you use hybrid port with tagged vlan(s) or trunk port where you tag by default one vlan (for Comware 5130).

Regarding new IP Phone's,  do you consider LLDP-MED for voice vlan?

Not sure if 1920 switch supports this protocol, but 5130 for sure yes.

Michal

 

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Hello

Thanks for your response!

I need a solution that both switches support. the customer has more 1920 switches then 5130 switches. But i use the CLI on both switches.

And i never configured QoS so i have no clue of how to set this up properly. That's why i'm looking for an example. When i look this up on Google, it confuses me more with all those policies, queues, etc. 

I thought making a voice vlan and configure dcsp trust somwhere, or somthing like that. I really need a good example.

 

Thanks

 

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Hello

I found somthing, but i am wondering if this is good enough.

When i make a new vlan like this:

vlan 20
name VoIP
quit
voice vlan 20 enable

Will this do the trick?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic


Mike_ES wrote:

Regarding new IP Phone's,  do you consider LLDP-MED for voice vlan?

Not sure if 1920 switch supports this protocol, but 5130 for sure yes.

Michal

Hi Michal, I'm was quite sure that HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Swith Series doesn't support LLDP-MED (but it supports LLDP).

Edit: mmm...I probably missed something because...looking at LLDP Port Settings there is a "+ Additional TLV Settings" menu that permits to enable LLDP-MED Capabilities...that's interesting because it could be related to a question I wrote here regarding the usage of a little HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch when deploying VSF on 5400R zl2 Switches + with it as a MED Device instead of using something bigger like the Aruba 2960.


 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

There are two nice and not too long Chapters "Configuring a voice VLAN" and "Configuring QoS" on the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series User Guide...the former looks simple, the latter (about the QoS) is a little bit more complex (and not specifically written about the case of VoIP QoS in LAN environments).

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Thanks for the reply.

So is it correct when i say, that when i only configure a voice vlan as discribed in that guide. The traffic for voice will be prioritised?  

I do not need to configure specific QoS commands?

 

 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Well...it's not clear.

The manual just says:

"A voice VLAN is configured for voice traffic. After assigning the ports that connect to voice devices to a voice VLAN, the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic, to improve the transmission priority of voice traffic and ensure voice quality."

But no details about what QoS parameters are then altered by the Switch...and that automatically into the statement "...the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic..." and is a little bit misterious (maybe a diff about Switch config before/after activating Voice VLAN could shed some light on that).

I can't believe - but I could be totally wrong - that simply enabling a Voice VLAN then automatically let the Switch to create a sort of pre-configured QoS Policy with Class, Traffic Behaviour and Policy on all Voice VLAN ports (as should be done following User Guide instructions).

Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Hi Michal, I'mwas quite sure that HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Swith Series doesn't support LLDP-MED (but it supports LLDP).

Edit:mmm...I probably missed something because...looking at LLDP Port Settings there is a "+ Additional TLV Settings" menu that permits to enable LLDP-MED Capabilities...that's interesting because it could be related to a question I wrote here regarding the usage of a little HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch when deploying VSF on 5400R zl2 Switches + with it as a MED Device instead of using something bigger like the Aruba 2960.



Hi ,

Could you please screenshoot exact menu options that you are able to choose ((Additional TLV Settings)?

Michal

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic


parnassus wrote:

Well...it's not clear.

The manual just says:

"A voice VLAN is configured for voice traffic. After assigning the ports that connect to voice devices to a voice VLAN, the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic, to improve the transmission priority of voice traffic and ensure voice quality."

But no details about what QoS parameters are then altered by the Switch...and that automatically into the statement "...the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic..." and is a little bit misterious (maybe a diff about Switch config before/after activating Voice VLAN could shed some light on that).

I can't believe - but I could be totally wrong - that simply enabling a Voice VLAN then automatically let the Switch to create a sort of pre-configured QoS Policy with Class, Traffic Behaviour and Policy on all Voice VLAN ports (as should be done following User Guide instructions).



yes, that's why i created this post, because i'm not sure either. :/

Can someone confirm this?

Kind regards

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic


Mike_ES wrote:

Could you please screenshoot exact menu options that you are able to choose ((Additional TLV Settings)?

Michal


Here we go.

Network --> LLDP --> Global Setup --> LLDP Enable (LLDP should be enabled by default) then Network --> LLDP --> Port Setup --> pick-up a Port and select "Operation" for that Port --> at bottom position there is "+Additional TLV Settings" which, once expanded, gives those sections:

  • DOT1 TLV Settings
  • DOT3 TLV Settings
  • MED TLV Settings

Screenshot attached.

 

Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

So guys,  I bet option: "network policy" in MED TLV Settings (parnassus, your screenshoot from HP 1920). Here is link to other interesting, similar tread but with Comware LLDP-MED network policy:

Re: CISCO IP phone on HP 5130-24G-P​oE

Is this not the same LLDP-MED "network policy" ???

But really there is need that someone could test in reality for 1920 switch and LLDP-MED capable IP Phone!

Cheers!

Michal

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

The manual has these descriptions for those (per Port) Additional TLV Settings:

LLDP_Port_Setup_Additional_TLV_Settings_Network_Policy.png

 

Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

More about this topic, but still related to HP Comware (!)

HP 5130EI Switch - Voice VLAN TLV-MED not Accepted by Cisco Phone mmr_kc-0124501

Michal

 

 

 

16again
Respected Contributor

Re: Qos with voice traffic

Just my educated guess...
The auto-qos for voice LAN doesn't do complicated stuff. It will just populate the COS value inside the VLAN-tag to some "better" value.  From range 0...7  it will pick 5 or above.
This will favour all traffic in voice VLAN....not just RTP but probably also stuff like firmware downloads.