9786 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RRPP protocole

Sam2019
Frequent Visitor

RRPP protocole

Hello,

We have 2 datacenters and one HQ, all this 3 sites are interconnected by 20Gb dark fiber, since from HQ we are interconnected to both datacenter we use MSTP to avoide loop, MSTP topology convergence time is not fast enough, we have a new project to replace core network switch from all 3 sites from HP 5700 to HP 5900, we would like to change MSTP by RRPP protocole, we have tested RRPP on new 5900 switch's in a test environment and it looks faster then spanning tree, before putting them in production I would like to know if you are using this protocole ?

What is your experience regarding this protocole ?

Is it faster than spanning tree in a production environment ?

I saw that this protocole owner is Huawei is this correct ? If yes what is the reason that HP is no more the owner ?

Is there a full support from HP side incase of any bug ?

It is stable incase of switch firmware upgrade ?

Thanks in advance from your help

5 REPLIES 5
Sam2019
Frequent Visitor

Re: RRPP protocole

Hi,

Can you please provide your feedback, I really need your help to go ahead on my project.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

drk787
HPE Pro

Hi,

With respet to your queries, please find my answers.

If yes what is the reason that HP is no more the owner ? HPE  is the new brand name given to the  comware switches post acquiring H3C. Yes, you get full support from HPE for any bug fixes. You may refer the latest release notes for the product for know issues that are fixed.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sam2019
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback, what about my initial queries regarding moving from MSTP to RRPP ?

( We have 2 datacenters and one HQ, all this 3 sites are interconnected by 20Gb dark fiber, since from HQ we are interconnected to both datacenter we use MSTP to avoide loop, MSTP topology convergence time is not fast enough, we have a new project to replace core network switch from all 3 sites from HP 5700 to HP 5900, we would like to change MSTP by RRPP protocole, we have tested RRPP on new 5900 switch's in a test environment and it looks faster then spanning tree, before putting them in production I would like to know if you are using this protocole ?

What is your experience regarding this protocole ?

Is RRPP topology convergence is faster than spanning tree ?

I saw that this protocole owner is Huawei is this correct ?

If yes what is the reason that HP is no more the owner ?

Is there a full support from HP side incase of any bug ?

It is stable incase of switch firmware upgrade ? )

Thanks in advance from your help

drk787
HPE Pro

RSTP, PVST, and MSTP are mature, but they take several seconds to converge. RRPP is an Ethernet ring-specific data link layer protocol, and converges faster than RSTP, PVST, and MSTP. Additionally, the convergence time of RRPP is independent of the number of nodes in the Ethernet ring. RRPP can be applied to large-diameter networks.

You may refer the below articles for more informaton and examples.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03477784

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03544407

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sam2019
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for reply.

What is your recommendation for an infrastracture in ring topology with 2 datacenter's and 1 HQ ?

Should we keep MSTP or go to RRPP ?

The customers who are using RRPP  what is thier feedback regarding this protocole ?

As this is the first time we would like to use this protocole we really need to have a confirmation from HPE to be sure that this protocole is stable and there would not be any major impact on the production network after the migration.

Regards,