8806 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Redundancy, Fail Over with 2 Core Switches, Decision help needed

loophole
Occasional Contributor

Redundancy, Fail Over with 2 Core Switches, Decision help needed

Hi folks,

I'm in the midst of redisgn a network I'm responsible for and need some help to decide on the right interconnection between switches.

What I have got:

2x A5120 el 24 port

3x 1910 24 port

1x 2910 48 port

What I like to do:

Have the two A5120 to be the core switches. They are interconnected through a 10GB module on the back.

The 1910 should have two uplink ports. One to each A5120.

The 2910 should have four uplinks. Two to each A5120.

What I'm thinking about:

Put the two A5120 in to IRF mode and have them to be the backbone of the whole network.

Using some protocol from the "High Availability Configuration Guide" to let the A5120 know that the 1910 can be reached through two routes and also use both routes. Also have the 1910 understand the two uplink, two routes thing.

As I briefly read the High availability guide I'm struck with all the options I have but can't really make much sense of it cause I never fiddle with these. So if anyone can give me a push in the right direction of best pratice I should deploy that would help me a lot.

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Comware-Based. -HP Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If you IRF the two 5120s, then the 1910s see them as a single "core" switch, therefore the two uplinks off the 1910 just have to be trunked together as a LACP trunk.

loophole
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the late reply just had time to get things going.

Thanks to you and the IRF manual I have a working IRF stack now. I just followed the example config in the manual and it worked. The edge switches also connect happily with bridge aggregation ports.

Next task is the vlan inter routing that bugs me. But this is for another thread.