New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing a Faulty Master in a IRF Stack - 5130

SOLVED
Go to solution
DaveGwmin
Occasional Contributor

Replacing a Faulty Master in a IRF Stack - 5130

Hi,

I've recently had a switch start to go faulty, and I need to replace it.

The switch is in an IRF stack of 6 Members, and the switch happens to be the Master for the stack.

We have continuity with our comware stacks, in that the Master is always configured to be the 1st member. So we would like to keep this.

I've seen the command undo irf auto-merge enable in numerous texts and pdfs online, but this command is not available on the 5130's

My question is, is there any other option available to me, and would I be right in assuming that I go along with the following:

1. Change the priority on the new switch to be the lowest in the stack eg priority 10
  2. install the switch without the power turned on, connect the relevant IRF cables etc. Then turn the power on.
  3. After the switch takes the config, change the priority back to the highest in the stack eg priority 32
  4. At the next reboot, the "new" switch will become the Master

We've changed over members in the stack before, but as this is a live environment, I dont want to potentially bring the whole switch stack down and put the wrong config on the switch.

3 REPLIES 3
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hi !

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000005537

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi

The way you described will work.

Also good to know is, the switch with the longest uptime will become the master. So keep that in mind.

When you will reboot the whole stack, and you want to be sure your member 1 switch will be master. Just turn it on first.

Kind regards

DaveGwmin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that, that's one of the documents that I found before. Unfortunately it doesn't talk about what to do when you want to replace the Master in the stack, whilst keeping the switch up and running with the same config. Useful document for changing over any of the standby's though!