New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing faulty5945 switch in 2 switch IRF STack

SOLVED
Go to solution
declan2777
Frequent Advisor

Replacing faulty5945 switch in 2 switch IRF STack

Hi there,

Switch 1 (Master) has gone faulty, and needs to be replaced. So, what are the steps to configure it and join it to the stack without it rebooting the 2nd core switch. 

Kind regards

5 REPLIES 5
declan2777
Frequent Advisor

if anyone could reply urgenty that would be great!!

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

IRF members must all be part of the same switch family and run the same version of software.  Otherwise, they will not be able to be added to the IRF.

https://community.hpe.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/switching-a-series-forum/6374/1/RWL%20TechNote%20-%20IRF%20Configuration%20v1.03.pdf

I Haq
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,
Yes, before connecting the new switch to IRF stack, make sure the software version is similar to new master(switch 2).
If it's not same then upgrade/downgrade the new switch.

I believe you have backup config of old switch, if yes then upload the configuration file into new switch and reboot it with old configuration and connect the new switch with existing master (switch 2) and run the command# irf-port-configuration active
in both switches.

If you don't have backup config then set irf-member priority, number like old master and configure irf-port in new switch and bind the interfaces. Connect the irf stack unshut the interfaces.#Save force the config and run the command# irf-port-configuration active
in both switches.
New switch will reboot and join the stack.

Thanks!
Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
declan2777
Frequent Advisor

Hi there,

Many thanks for getting back to me.@Ivan, are you talking about loading the full configuration from the saved config directly onto the new switch (switch 1). Or just configuring all of original switch 1 config 1/0/1 to 1/0/52 interfaces for example as obviously it will not accept the switch 2 config etc? 

There are BAGG's set up and now switch 2 has already that info so I am assuming ill jus coy/paste the switch 1 info from the original config to the new switch 1? Then connect up and power it on as long as it has a lower priority it will not become the master and switch 2 (current master) will not reboot?

Am I correct?

akg7
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @declan2777 ,

If you run display current-config on running switch 2, I believe you will not see the config of switch 1 (faulty switch).

I believe you have taken config backup of switch 1(faulty), if yes then just upgrade/downgrade the software version of new switch to match switch 2 version.

Set the lower irf priority on new switch and transfer the config and connect the switches back to IRF stack.

Another way after setting same software version, is to set the lower irf priority and config the irf ports on new switch and connect the switch , undo shutdown the irf  interfaces on new switch then save force and run irf-port-configuration active into both switches. New switch will boot and join the IRF. 

Then you can do the rest interfaces configurations.

Thanks!

It will merge

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo