5486 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ring topology

Pafe┼В
Occasional Contributor

Ring topology

Hi.

I have 3x HP A5120-24G switches. I would like to make with them a ring topology. But there is one problem - I never did that before... Can you help me a little? I cannot just link them without enabling any options, because I'll made a loop, right?

I gave them addresses 192.168.42.200, 201 and 202 /24.

PS. Cisco have Packet Tracer. HP have sometnig like this? It's freeware? Maybe it's better to do it first in test environment.

Cheers :>

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Ring topology

Hello, it's unclear: are you tring to deploy a Ring Topology IRF stack with three IRF Members? if so just check the relevant IRF Configuration Guide for your specific switch series. Your desired scenario is well explained with best practices, requirements and restrictions.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Pafe┼В
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure ... I just want to connect them, as you can see in the picture, and lead to the situation that in case of breaks one of these cables the whole network will still be available.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Just wanting to connect them *that* way (it's an IRF loop) is barely sufficient to say: "OK, it's clear that it is an IRF Ring Topology"...there is a specific way to deploy an IRF Ring Topology with three (or more) IRF Members...but you should then do some important consideration about how many physical interfaces to bind for every logical IRF Port involved (two logical IRF Ports per member, a total of six)...you can also start with the minimum requirements (on each IRF Member IRF Port 1: one link, IRF Port 2: one link) but, if you can, why not planning things differently (better) in advance?

Do you want (or are you forced due to constrains) to use just one physical interface for each logical IRF Port of each IRF Member or are you able to bind more physical interfaces (let me say two, as example) per IRF Port to enhance IRF Ring resiliency and throughput?

Have you read IRF Configuration Guide?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner