cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SW 5500 Ports blocked

Cahier
Occasional Contributor

SW 5500 Ports blocked

Hello, first excuse my english (am i french ...), i have a problem on a Switch 5500 (48 ports), last week 5 ports stop to communicate, i'm try whitout DHCP and the same. when i'm look the display diagnostics i see some error like "Packets dropped By GBP full or insufficient bandwidth: 12706" on the port blocked. i don't understand what happen and how resolve this. I can't reboot my switchs stack (7 elements) because it's the network heart. thank's for your help.

3 REPLIES
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: SW 5500 Ports blocked

Hello Cahier. I suspect that the devices connected to these ports are demanding more than the bandwidth of 100 Mbps available in the 5500-EI Fast Ethernet ports. I would do one simple test, before any action: connect these devices to a Gigabit port of the 5500 and see if the behavior is normal. Be careful not to commit any of the ports of the stack (fabric ports) when enabling the Gigabit SFP slot inserting a 1000BASE-T transceiver.

Another possibility would be to use aggregated links to adapt to devices, such that the total bandwidth available would be multiplied by the number of ports used for aggregation. On the other hand it is an action that depends on the devices have more network cards and LACP.

In french, by Google Translator:

Bonjour Cahier. Je soupçonne que les périphériques connectés à ces ports sont plus exigeants que la bande passante de 100 Mbps pour 5500-EI. Je voudrais faire un test simple, avant toute action: la connexion de ces appareils à un Gigabit de 5500 et voir si le comportement est normal. Veillez à ne pas commettre l'un des ports de la pile (fabric ports) pour permettre à l'un des emplacements avec un émetteur-récepteur Gigabit SFP 1000BASE-T.

Une autre possibilité serait d'utiliser les liens agrégés pour s'adapter à des dispositifs, de sorte que la bande passante totale disponible serait multiplié par le nombre de ports utilisés pour l'agrégation. D'autre part il s'agit d'une action qui dépend des dispositifs ont des cartes réseau de plus en portant LACP.

Hope that helps.

Cahier
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your answer, i have make an error in my first Post, because the model of switch is a 5500G-EI, all the port support 1Gb/s. but when i try to put a single PC connect to the port have the problem, nothing pass, all the other's ports it's Ok, when i  ask for the status of the blocked port, it's Enable. very strange ...

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

OK. So try to disable broadcast supression and set up the port as 1000 / Full Duplex hardcoded, as in the PC's NIC also. Probably the stp edge-port is already enabled, so make sure that is no any else special features implemented on the port.

Regards