1752672 Members
5865 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

[Solved] Cannot get VLAN DHCP relay working

spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Re: Cannot get VLAN DHCP relay working

All valid points, but I did settle on DHCP from HPE5900 itself. way easier to maanage this way

There is no need to complicate if it can be done simple

As with any security best practices, it is security vs convienience

pattap
Regular Advisor

ah yeah I missed that bit, yup that's another solution, setting DHCP server on the switch, good luck

spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

good luck, as in you expect it could fall over?

Seems to work fine so far...

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Are you saying your DHCP server (and presumably your other servers) is in the same VLAN/subnet as your switch management?

And now you have DHCP being served from 2 different places?

I'd take a step back if I were you and plan out your network before configuraing stuff.

If you have 2 standalone virtual networks that do not have a Layer3 connection top each other, then each of them needs its own DHCP server.

spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Issue solved as stated, thanks, no need for any more input (especially one that does not bring anything new or useful)

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I guess the main point here is that you should not have production servers in the same VLAN as your management addressing is. And your whole mixup stems from the lack of a proper design.

So the advice here is to now do some proper design and improve your network so that future changes are less painful.

spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Well, my design was exactly to have management in same Vlan as production servers.
Security vs convienience/ease of use