108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Still on the 5900af

SOLVED
Go to solution
mosswalker
Occasional Contributor

Still on the 5900af

Hi again.  Ok so i have been trying to set the Vlans up and have varying degrees of failure. What i am trying to do is put the iSCSI target aside but still have internet access to update the games on the target.

What i did was leave the default vlan and create a separate one for the 10g sfp's that connect the CCBoot server to the switch. I am just typing it out rough, so the formatting migth appear off it was correct in switch but i am missing a step or not understanding a step

sys

vlan 1

vlan 1 description users

interface vlan1

interface vlan 1 ip address 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0

interface vlan 1 default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.253

quit

vlan 1

gigabitethernet1/0/1

gigabitethernet1/0/1 port link-type trunk

gigabitethernet1/0/1 port trunk access 100

quit

vlan 100

vlan 100 ten-gigabitethernet1/0/49 to ten-gigabitethernet1/0/52

vlan 100 interface vlan 100

interface vlan 100 ip address 192.168.100.254 255.255.255.0

quit

quit

display current-configuration

I assign 192.168.100.100 and 192.168.100.200 to the server dual intel 10g NIC in the server

I cannot ping anything in the 100 vlan from the default.

Am i supposed to 'tag' the ports in 100?

Also on one configuration i told the vlan 100 that its default route was the router at 192.168.10.253 .. i could ping from vlan 100 to the default interface but not from default to vlan 100.

I am so close but STILL missing something. Can someone please tell me where i am messing up?

5 REPLIES 5
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

What is configured as the default gateway address on those servers?

The config you show would seem to indicate you are adding VLAN100 as a tagged VLAN. I would think those servers are probably not tagging their traffic, so you would need to configure VLAN100 as untagged.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what the "default route" does when it's applied to a VLAN interface like that. I would have thought you should setup your static routes in the Global context, not the Interface context.

mosswalker
Occasional Contributor

..... oh man ... going to try that . It never occurred to me that all vlans would look for a global route. I thought I had to tell each one where to go. And how do I untag a vlan? Per port? Thanks dude.
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Because you've configured it as type "trunk" then every VLAN you add to it will be "tagged"
You can set one VLAN to be "untagged"*** by telling it to "port trunk pvid vlan 100".

*** OK, "hybrid" seems to be a way to add multiple untagged VLANs. I've never understood why you would ever do this.

mosswalker
Occasional Contributor

Only adding one Vlan. I dont have enough knowledge to play with anything past what i glean from cisco tutorials and translate to through trial and error into the 5900af ...

Its only 41 iniators that most likely will never bulk boot once this is up and running so I know i dont even NEED to do this. But its pissed me off in my free time for two weeks or so. Now i am going to figure it out just because.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

ok, so you have to think the OSI model:
1/ Physical layer: you plug patch leads into things to get electricity flowing

2/ Layer2 - frames with "{VLAN} / to-MAC / from-MAC"" have to get from a to b

3/ Layer3 - IP addresses

So, as far as Layer1 one is concerned, that is the conduit.
You then put Layer2 things through the conduit - think of them as coloured bits of string within the conduit.
You might have one piece of blue string in the conduit. You need to connect it - at each end, "blue" is VLAN200, so if you have conduit from Port1, Switch1 to Port1 Switch2, then you have to tell both those switches that each of those ports needs to connect to "blue string" (VLAN200).

If you have 20 VLANs, then think of your conduit having 20 different pieces of string through it, and it's important that each colour be connected properly at each end so that "blue" connects properly from switch 1 to switch 2, and so does "green", "red" and "orange".