1753347 Members
4982 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Table ARP FULL

Jvdv
Advisor

Table ARP FULL

Hello Am a 5120 type switch, I have the full arp table. with 256. It broke my network. Could you tell me how to free this ARP table? how to avoid this? Thank you

version du switch 

HPE Comware Platform Software
Comware Software, Version 5.20, Release 1519P03
Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
HPE 5120 24G POE+ (370W) SI Switch uptime is 103 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 49 minutes

HPE 5120 24G POE+ (370W) SI Switch
128M bytes SDRAM
128M bytes Nand Flash Memory
Config Register points to Nand Flash

Hardware Version is REV.B
CPLD Version is 002
Bootrom Version is 180
[SubSlot 0] 24GE+4SFP+POE Hardware Version is REV.B

4 REPLIES 4
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @Jvdv !

To clear the table you can use 'reset arp all' command, but doing it every time the ARP table is full is ... inefficient, at least. 

What you need to do is to get the output from 'display arp all' and carefully analyze it. If all records there are legit, then you simply need a switch with bigger capacity.If your network has more than 256 hosts, but not all work simultaneously and you are sure that at every given moment of time number of active hosts is below 256, despite the fact overall number is bigger, then you can tweak the aging time for dynamic ARP entries in minutes 'arp timer aging <minutes>' starting of very aggressive 1-5 munutes and see if it improves the situation. This will increase number of ARP traffic in your network, but the ARP table will age out inactive hosts more aggressively and thus will free up the ARP table.

If you see any suspicious records in the table that do not belong to your network, then just investigate how those records appeared in the ARP table - trace them to the source and eliminate the issue. If there is an interface that is connected to the segment that you do not control and unknown ARP records come from there, you can limit maximum number of dynamic ARP entries that an interface can learn using 'arp max-learning-num <number>' command.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jvdv
Advisor

thank you for your quick response is accurate. I will look on this side .. thank you again

Jvdv
Advisor

the fact of clearing my ARP tabale will disconnect everyone is that ??

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

If you clear the ARP table the switch will delete all active records and will re-learn IP-to-MAC bindings by broadcasting ARP Request messages. The point of this step is to get rid of inactive records, since only active hosts will respond to ARP Request messages. But keep in mind that it will help only if active hosts are below 256. If active hosts number exceeds 256, after such reset you will still have full ARP table.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo