1748149 Members
3643 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Telnet Cursor Left Bug on HP 7510 Switch

huddie
Occasional Advisor

Telnet Cursor Left Bug on HP 7510 Switch

When I cursor left on our 7500 series switches, the cursor goes back about 63 places and then the session bugs out and the cursor jumps up a few lines, making editing impossible.  See the video clip below.  I'm using telnet from a Windows 8.1 PC.  Telnet works fine when connecting to Cisco switches.  

Is there a fix or workaround for this ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Video: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=37F13C94A7E18AB7!951&authkey=!ANVX4TY9Lg3BtgI&ithint=video%2cwmv

Release Version:    HP 7510-6708P07 - Comware Software, Version 5.20.99, Release 6626P02

--
Paul

"If you're not helping or requesting help, you probably shouldn't be here."
3 REPLIES 3
huddie
Occasional Advisor

This is a genuine problem.  Is nobody out there interested in helping ?  Perhaps someone from HP / H3C even ?

--
Paul

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi,

yes, its bad.

Would be nice if HP could fix the comware 5 terminal.

There is however a few things that can be done to make your life easier.

I'm not using windows, but on linux, if I use the rxvt, and set the width to 80 characters - It actually works as intended. 

Mind you i need to backspace with "ctrl-h", but thats acceptable.

If i use gnome-terminal, and set the width to 80 characters - it still scrambles the line with 1 character.

In general using 80 character terminal width makes the problem less, but 80 chars width can be a pain.

I'm looking it the whole terminfo-thing, to see if there are some settings that can mitigate the Comware flaws, but its making me older - quick. So I'm not sure I'll persue it :)

Btw - HP fixed these bugs in  the comware 7.

Regards.

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
huddie
Occasional Advisor

@sdide wrote:

Hi,

yes, its bad.

Would be nice if HP could fix the comware 5 terminal.

There is however a few things that can be done to make your life easier.

I'm not using windows, but on linux, if I use the rxvt, and set the width to 80 characters - It actually works as intended. 

Mind you i need to backspace with "ctrl-h", but thats acceptable.

If i use gnome-terminal, and set the width to 80 characters - it still scrambles the line with 1 character.

In general using 80 character terminal width makes the problem less, but 80 chars width can be a pain.

I'm looking it the whole terminfo-thing, to see if there are some settings that can mitigate the Comware flaws, but its making me older - quick. So I'm not sure I'll persue it :)

Btw - HP fixed these bugs in  the comware 7.

Regards.

Thanks Sdide.  I suspected reducing the line width to 80 characters would be a workaround.  However, like yourself, I hate working in 80 characters.  The wrapping to multiple lines I find unworkable.  We're putting desciptions on switchports and, with 4 48 port copper blades, it's a lot of data to sift through.  

We're fairly new to Comware here, having previously bought Cisco IOS switches.  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that they don't have a strong user base.  When I look online for details or post to forums there seems to be little out there.  Not like IOS!  It also doesn't help that HP don't really contribute to these forums - poor order :-(

I'll talk to my counterparts about a Comware upgrade.  In the meantime, if you do find a workaround please post.  And thanks again for your response.

PS: I've updated the version on my original post.  It turns out that Release Version is what looks like the build number only.  LOL!

--
Paul