cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting PoE on a 5120

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

Troubleshooting PoE on a 5120

I recently lost PoE on my home 5120 and am looking for help troubleshooting the complete lack of PoE with it. A dis diag shows some entries on the PoE dubug,  a dis poe int will result in showing the status as, other-fualt anad finally, the PSE status shows as off in a dis poe device.

Is there anyone that can help out before I break down and get another switch?

6 REPLIES
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Re: Troubleshooting PoE on a 5120

Jason,

You are running pretty up to date software on the switch.  The latest that came out, last week, was R2221P15.  You could try upgrading to that at some point.  It is available on the My Networking portal.

Your PSE software version is newer than what I see on our support site.  Can you tell me what led up to the PoE failure?  Did you by any chance have a transient power fluctuation?  We have seen some cases where that has been a problem for the PSE module.

If so, can you try unplugging the switch for a couple of minutes and then plug it in again and see if that clears the problem?  Don't forget to save your configuration in case you made any changes before you do that.

Thank you for sending along the display diag.  That is critical for us to be able to see what is happening at the time of the failure.

If the switch is still under warranty, you could log a case in and one of our engineers can troubleshoot it with you.

Thanks!  Good luck!

Regards,

David

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

VoIP-Buddy wrote:

Jason,

You are running pretty up to date software on the switch.  The latest that came out, last week, was R2221P15.  You could try upgrading to that at some point.  It is available on the My Networking portal.

Your PSE software version is newer than what I see on our support site.  Can you tell me what led up to the PoE failure?  Did you by any chance have a transient power fluctuation?  We have seen some cases where that has been a problem for the PSE module.

If so, can you try unplugging the switch for a couple of minutes and then plug it in again and see if that clears the problem?  Don't forget to save your configuration in case you made any changes before you do that.

Thank you for sending along the display diag.  That is critical for us to be able to see what is happening at the time of the failure.

If the switch is still under warranty, you could log a case in and one of our engineers can troubleshoot it with you.

Thanks!  Good luck!

Regards,

David

Sadly, with buying the switch second hand it is not covered. I also wish I knew if there was something that caused the PoE to quit, rather it be a power issue or a softare issue but, I did not discover this until I got my first AP and discovered that it would not power up.
The only change I made prior to finding this out was upgrading to the current level of code that it is on. You mention the PSE software is newer than what you see available, is it possible to get a known stable/good PSE software for me to update to? Perhaps that is what caused the PoE to stop working.
Obviosuly, not being able to decipher the log entries int he dis diag, I can only speculate that the answer is in there with the PoE debug and file/driver load errors.

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Jason,

The 5120 EI comes with a limited lifetime warranty on it.  You should be able to open a warranty case on this.

We haven't had many PoE issues with the 5120.  PSE 413 is the latest and the correct version of software to be on.  Your 2221P12 is ok but I would update to P15.

You didn't say whether there were any intermittant power issues recently or if you manually power cycled it and what was the result.

Also, what kind of AP is attached and what standard of power does it use?  802.1af or 802.1at?  The 5120 should be able to manage both. 

What version of code did you upgrade from?

Regards,

David

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

VoIP-Buddy wrote:

Jason,

The 5120 EI comes with a limited lifetime warranty on it.  You should be able to open a warranty case on this.

We haven't had many PoE issues with the 5120.  PSE 413 is the latest and the correct version of software to be on.  Your 2221P12 is ok but I would update to P15.

You didn't say whether there were any intermittant power issues recently or if you manually power cycled it and what was the result.

Also, what kind of AP is attached and what standard of power does it use?  802.1af or 802.1at?  The 5120 should be able to manage both. 

What version of code did you upgrade from?

Regards,

David

Because I got the switch through a non authorized reseller (aka an equipment reseller on eBay), they won't cover the warranty, I already tried.

I did manually power cycle it a few times with no results. Power flucuations, I can not say since, I do not monitor power here at home. I have not had a power outage but, I can not say its been steady for any amount of time.

The AP is a 802.3af unit, Juniper WLA532-US which powers up fine on the controller that has a PoE port but, not on the switch.

The old code was 2220P0x, I dont remember off the top of my head. I put the 2221P12-US on the switch due to that is what we will be running at work next quarter. 

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

To me, it seems like the PSE DIMMs are not detecting a PoE device yet, the switch not only sees them but says there is 370watts available. I have searched but, I can not find a place that sells these DIMMs.

martyscholes
Occasional Advisor

JasonL1 wrote:

Because I got the switch through a non authorized reseller (aka an equipment reseller on eBay), they won't cover the warranty, I already tried.

I just got bit by this same issue for a failing fan on a 4000M I purchased on eBay many years ago. HP denied the fan warranty claim for multiple reasons, all of which are new:

• I do not have the sales receipt showing the serial number
  • I have a home address and not a business address
  • I did not buy from an HP reseller

I have asked the CSR Queue (the warranty people) what document states that those conditions are necessary for a warranty claim on this device. They have not respond to my two inquiries in the past two months.

To me, this sounds a lot like HP unilaterally changing the terms of the warranty post-sale, with no prior notice to the owner of the product and nothing to compensate for the lost warranty coverage.

The previous warranty coverage is clear for this unit that it has a lifetime warranty, with none of the above exceptions listed.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02707628

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Marty

Has anyone else seen this?