4193 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Turn on 3rd party transceiver on HPE FlexFabric 5900AF

m3tr0x
Occasional Visitor

Turn on 3rd party transceiver on HPE FlexFabric 5900AF

Hi,

I've HPE FlexFabric 5900AF switch and I'm want to use 3rd party transceiver , but when I insert it, 

I'm getting a message that the transceiver isn't supported.

Anyway to enable support?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
parnassus
Honored Contributor

No.

AFAIK there isn't a way (CLI Command) to "enable" 3rd Party (non genuine HPE / non supported) transceivers to explicitly work on your platform (as happened recently on ArubaOS-Switch based switches since the 16.02 Software Branch release)...but those 3rd Party Transceivers you want to try could work out-of-the-box if you're lucky enough with them (and if you aren't...you should try others...or definitely start used HPE supported and granted ones): if you plug in them and they lights up normally (without showing Rx/Tx errors) - Eureka! -  you could be on the exact scenario on which you have them running correctly despite they are recognized as "unsupported" by the underlying Comware OS your switch is running ("unsupported" because they're effectively non HPE vendor branded or non certified to work with your platform specifically as per product QuickSpecs).

At best you can issue a:

transceiver phoney alarm disable

CLI command to silence logs and traps which are notifying you to replace the inserted transceiver module with one supported.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
m3tr0x
Occasional Visitor

Thanks.

On HP FF 7904 non-HPE branded transceivers works OK.

This is why I'm asking.

can it be related to the Comware vesrion???

On the 5900AF I have 7.1.035

On the 7904I have 7.1.045

parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK actually HPE FlexFabric 5920 and 5900 Switch series both share the HPE Comware Software Version 7.1.045, latest software release should be - as today - Release 2432 Patch 01 (shortly known as HPE Comware 7.1.045 R2432P01)...please note the coupling between 7.1.045 and R24xx...what exact complete software version release your switch is running on (check through display version command)?

Probably your switch is still running on a R22xx software version to have a Comware 7.1.035...something released during 2013 (Am I right?).

P.S. this Topic should be moved into the Comware-Based sub-section here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
m3tr0x
Occasional Visitor

HP Comware Software, Version 7.1.035, Release 2208P01

parnassus
Honored Contributor

R2208P01: built on March, 4th 2013...so, in just few days, that version is going to celebrate its fourth birthday (4 Years old)!

I'm not an HPE Employee
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

You need to tell your 3rd-party transceiver vendor *before* you buy it that it's for an HP5900.

They can then code it with the correct part number for you. If they say they can't code it, don't buy it.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

...or, just considering the high intrinsic value of your irons, simply go with *genuine* and *supported* HPE Transceivers (that's a sufficiently good reason especially if you care about running equipments without worrying about to suffer nasty compatibility issues between them).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I would definitely *NOT* buy 3rd-party transceivers from just anybody. I get people trying to sell me "top quality" transceivers "direct from the factory" all the time, I don't even consider it.

I've deployed and supported thousands of transceivers, probably 50/50 vendor/3rd party and have never had any kind of compatibility issue with them EXCEPT this deliberate vendor lock-in.

I first started using 3rd-party transceivers on HP equipment when I needed some 1Gb & 10Gb "colour" transceivers which HP do not sell. I found a reputable and reliable (& HP-approved) 3rd-party vendor and pretty soon started buying normal SR 10Gb transceivers from them as well.

My very worst transceiver experiences were:

1/ Buying and paying for 200 "genuine Cisco transceivers" and receiving cheap 3rd-party knock-offs.

2/ Genuine HP 10Gb SR GBIC transceivers - they all failed after about 3-5 years operation. Not a huge problem, because I was getting rid of the modules that supported them anyway, to go with the greater port density of the SFP+ modules.

3/ Roundabout when the procurve 2424 was being replaced with switches with SFP slots, we ended up with 1Gb SX SFPs that came in "A", "B" and "C" types. You had to use the right one in the right switch, and you had to point the right ones at each other to get a good link. More of a puzzle than a problem really.