6654 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Uplink from VC Flax-10 to A5800 using DAC

BHDofa
Occasional Advisor

Uplink from VC Flax-10 to A5800 using DAC

Hi,

Does anybody knows is DAC HP X240 SFP+ SFP+ 3 m Direct Attach Cable (JD097B) supported with VC Flex-10 or does A5800 switch support DAC from flex-10 (487655-B21) HP BLc SFP+ 3m 10GbE Copper Cable. If I can not found a matching cable I need to go with fiber and that takes my bill astronomically high (4 x DAC = 800$, 8 x FC transceivers + FC cables = 8000$) it is 10 times more expensive. I got a info that VC team is preparing a firmware v3.3 for virtualconnect but I do not have info is DAC list extended like last time with v3.01.

We are in process of getting a VC Flex-10 and 2 x A5800 but with this issue with DAC I'm skeptic because it takes price of HP switches in rank with Cisco switches and I might just go with them.

5 REPLIES 5
ccie3582

H3C DAC cables support starts officially from VC firmware 3.30. However I know installations working with 3.17 and 3m H3C DAC cable from VC to A5820. DAC cables usually are defined "stack cables" to denote the non-inter-vendor use, and the use of anti-counterfeit checks make their use tricky.

KR

BHDofa
Occasional Advisor

Any suggestions regarding "use of anti-counterfeit checks make their use tricky" maybe some tip if work with this issue.

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

I have an implementation with those cables and I didn't got any issue.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

I googled for "VC Flex-10" Well, this uses standard 10 Gb ethernet, so you could easily use SFP+ direct attach cables.

Why do you need those fibres channel (FC) modules? Will you get a SAN?

Update: Sorry, now I was looking for "virtualconnect". Why does HP use those neologism???

So we are talking about fibre channel setup

(Sidenote: In my opinion fibre channel is highly overpriced. Go for ISCSI and 10Gb ethernet instead, if you ever have the choice...)

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

@Michael: we are talking about ethernet networks. no Fibre Channel. On a Flex10 of Flexfabric module you have SFP+ ports (uplinks) and you can use SFP+ modules or SFP+ cables to connect to other switches.