4928 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using HyperTerminal with 4800G Switch

MikeIndiaBravo
Occasional Contributor

Using HyperTerminal with 4800G Switch

Hi,

We have recently purchased a couple of these switches and I am trying to configure them.

I have looked through the documentation and understand that they must be first configured through the console port using HyperTerminal.

I have tried to do this on both switches however with both of them, it seems to boot ok in HyperTerminal but then it just stops and I am unable to do anything. There are no red lights or anything on the switch which would indicate that there is a problem.The HyperTerminal screen goes through a series of dashes and charaters and then just stops with a flashing "pipe". The documentation says to push enter and you should get a prompt however I do not get anything.

I cannot see anything from the documentation to say that there are any prerequisites to this ... ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
marcos
Advisor

Sounds like a console settings misconfiguration. Have you set the correct serial speed, flow control, parity and stuff?

MikeIndiaBravo
Occasional Contributor

I am using Hilgraeve HyperTerminal.

Bits per Second 9600

DataBits 8

Parity None

Stop Bits 1

Flow Control None

These match up with the settings in the Confugration PDF from 3Com

Connect using COM1

MikeIndiaBravo
Occasional Contributor

This is what I end up with:

G├│J├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖w├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖┬╖├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖w├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖ ├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖w

├╛├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖├╖

marcos
Advisor

Terminal mode should be set to VT100, too, but that probably won't make much of a difference. Have you tried another cable yet? Often cables tend to screw up things, especially when using converters, crossovers, adapters and the like.

MikeIndiaBravo
Occasional Contributor

I have tried using another cable and another machine. Same result.

I have put in a service request for this but have yet to hear back from a technician. There is supposed to be an 8 hours response time and there is still a few hours left.

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

The correct speed is 19200 bps.

Regards

Regards,
Fred Mancen
MikeIndiaBravo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Fred, that seems to have worked perfectly.

Is there a way that I can advise 3com of this, as there documentation states 9600 bps and I have spent quite a lot of time messing about with something that just came down to poor documentation.

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Hi, good to hear from you that now is working fine. In the configuration guide that I have the informed baud rate is 19200. Take a look in the page 1649, "Logging In Through the Console Port" section.

Additionally, almost all the 3Com switches use the 19200 speed in its consoles.

Regards.

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 2-23-10 @ 1:43 PM
Regards,
Fred Mancen