1753266 Members
5650 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN Passthrough 4210

Beccara

VLAN Passthrough 4210

Hey All,

We have a 3com 4210 that we are using as a normal switch and both me and my boss are unable to find how we enable it to switch any vlan tag that comes via the switch, at the moment it blocks it. How can we disable the vlan "security"?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Please be more specific. Do you have some special policy already applied in the VLANs existing in the switch?

Regards,
Fred Mancen
Beccara

No we dont, the switch is stock factory settings yet attempting to connect 2 vlan'ed devices thru it results in no connection over the vlan but fine non-vlan'ed

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

I think that this problem is caused by a misconfigured feature in the ports used by the switches to connect to each other. When you create a new VLAN in addition to the default (VLAN 1), you have to setup the ports used as uplinks in trunk mode:

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit vlan 1 2

Another detail that you need to keep in mind is that you have to create VLAN Interfaces (L3), assigning IP addresses to each VLAN Interface. The VLAN Interface will came up as soon as a host is connected to a port assigned with the corresponding VLAN (L2).

And you have to setup a default route in the edge switch in order to reach the core switch:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip_address_core_switch>

As you have only two switches, you have to define which switch is the main responsible to handle the network traffic between your LAN and the internet or any external network.

Regards,
Fred Mancen