New Discussion

Re: VRRP in IRF setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
VERSTEH_EG_NET
Occasional Collector

VRRP in IRF setup

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an VRRP on an IRF setup (2x HPE 5510) using routed ports. When trying to set the second IP adress on the second interface within the same subnet I'm getting an error saying "This subnet overlaps with another interface!"

Is it even possible to use VRRP in a IRF setup with routed ports?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your request...pay attention that IRF is a Virtual Switching technology...so two HPE 5510 switches members of an IRF stack are seen (and they act), de facto, a single switching/routing logical switch (routing is a feature you can conveniently enable on the IRF itself)...VRRP requires two - or more - "routers"...so - probably - what you want to achieve (VRRP with two routers) should be possible using TWO separated IRFs (IRF 1 : two 5510 members and IRF 2: two 5510 members).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VERSTEH_EG_NET
Occasional Collector

Thanks for your reply!

That answers my question pretty much  - as IRF is acting as a single Switch, VRRP is not possible in my case. I will split the IRF then and just use the single Switches.

My intention was to use VRF tables but don't have to configure the twice (on both switches).

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I don't think VRF (if VRF = Virtual Routing and Forwarding) and IRF are - as happens between IRF and VRRP - mutually exclusive implementations...see, as example, here.

Edit: the statement above is unrelated to features of HPE 5510: VRF isn't included among services supported by 5510.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner