7298 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Voice VLAN on remote subnet

brucexx
Occasional Advisor

Voice VLAN on remote subnet

Quoting (from 3Com OfficeConnect Managed Gigabit PoE Switch page 174):

"If the IP phone’s VLAN-mode is disabled, the phone uses untagged packets. The phone uses untagged packets while retrieving the initial IP address through DHCP. The phone eventually use the Voice VLAN and start sending tagged packets."

I do not get it, how it would work I am having terrible time setting this up on VOICE VLAN for Auto port mode. It simply does not want to put the phone into voice vlan. The phone is sending DHCP requests on regular vlan and even when I configure DHCP reservations and give the phone all the ip info according to what is on Voice VLAN it does not work. It works only when I tag packets from the level of the phone (assign vlan id to the phone) but what is the difference then between Auto port mode and manual for Voice VLAN. I tried different switches OfficeConnect GiG PoE and 2426 with the same results.

I have NBX on 10.10.10.X subnet and the phone is on 10.0.101.X subnet – all the routing and DHCP servers on each subnet are set up correctly.

HELP

2 REPLIES 2
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Re: Voice VLAN on remote subnet

You are using DHCP Option 184 to give the phone the Tag ID# right?

brucexx
Occasional Advisor

Re: Voice VLAN on remote subnet

Yes that is correct (EDITED no that is not correct I am giving hte phone NCP address on option 184) and it works but gives the ip settings on native vlan not on voice vlan. I have two DHCP servers, one on each interface (for vlan 1 native, and vlan 5 - voice).

Whatever is configured on native vlan DHCP is given to the phone. I even tried to configure DHCP reservations with ip info from the oeher subnet (which was given ot the phone) but the phone itself did not join the voice vlan.

This message was edited by brucexx on 5-14-09 @ 4:08 PM