Comware Based
1752493 Members
5427 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Whats the status of Comware7 for lets say HP5820 series?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Whats the status of Comware7 for lets say HP5820 series?

I have seen a few other models receive their updates so the admin can choose if they want to continue using Comware5 firmwares or update into Comware7.

But what about Comware7 for those of us with a 5820X-24XG-SFP+ (would be great with Comware7 for A5120-48G EI aswell)?

Any news/updates available on this topic?

9 REPLIES 9
SBaker
Advisor
Solution

CWv7 for 5820 is coming soon. Target release is around October/Novermber.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

After your reply I went for a hunt and ended up at a software download page at HP (which is different from the public one since this one not only requires your HP Passport login but also a valid SAID) where I put in the SAID I have for this 5820 and oh behold... looks like the winter is coming... err... the comware7 is coming :-)

In the looong list of 5.20 releases there were a release named:

5800-5820X_7.10.R7006P11-US.zip

Unfortunately I couldnt locate any v5 to v7 migration tool for 5820 nor any specific info on how to update a v5 into v7, but at least it looks like its coming :-)

Also on the product pages for 5800/5820 its written that:

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-switches.hits-12.html

"

What's new

• New Comware 7 modular network operating system with ISS resiliency.
  • IRF support of nine switches simplifies management by up to 75%.
  • OpenFlow and SDN automate manual tasks and speed service delivery.

"

So I guess Ill have to sit still in the boat until oct/nov 2015 then?

Or is the 7.10.R7006P11-US considered production so I could switch to that today already (because it would hopefully resolve the two major issue I current have with the builtin DHCP and DHCP6-servers of 5820 - and that is lack of option82 support (give out leases based on option82 information) and lack of routingtable update when DHCP6-PD is handed out to IPv6 clients (which gives that the PD the client just received never is routed towards the client)).

By the way, do you (or somebody else) know if the Comware 7 will work for the JC102A release (and not only the JC102B release) of the hardware for 5820X-24XG-SFP+?

Also whats the status for Comware 7 for the 5120EI series?

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Anyone in here might have a 58xx installed and running with Comware v7 today?

And if so, how did the update from v5 go?

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

@SBaker wrote:

CWv7 for 5820 is coming soon. Target release is around October/Novermber.

Will there be Comware V7 upgrades for 5500-HI, aswell? (At least those were once released after 5800 switching series)

Is "IRF3" a feature within V7, only? => see current datasheet

Update:

@OliverLoke wrote:

As mentioned IRF 3 (as well called vertical-irf or VCF) is the evolution of the

horizontally built IRF 2 into the vertical axis.

We talk by now abot avery limited amount of devices that will actually support IRF 3.

As controling bridge: 12500 series / 11900 series and the 5900th

AS Port extender: 5500HI familie, 5700 familie and the 5900th.

The usage model is either:

- within the data center: any of the CB + either 5700th or 5900th or combinations as PE

-  within campus envirinments: any of the CBs as building collector + combinations of 5500HI POE and the others as PE

The differentiator to the nexus approach is: A PE in an IRF 3 is doing Layer 2! Therefore local switching.

The feature is closly bound to the availability of Comware OS 7. So a close look into the availability of Comware 7 in above mentioned devides would make sense.

Hope this helps

SBaker
Advisor

@Apachez-

I believe you  have beta code - not sure how different it will be from GA code, but suggest holding off until GA code.

Yes - CW7 version code will support DHCP Option 82.

Please check this command  - ipv6 dhcp relay iapd-route-add - in the Layer 3 IP Services Guide. http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4177501&docId=emr_na-c04381984&docLocale=en_US

Is this the "allow routing table updates when DHCP6-PD is handed out to IPv6 clients" feature you need? This is available in CW5, but the CWv7 platform does not curently support it.

Comware v7 will work with JC102A, however, the single box ISSU feature will not be suported.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

ipv6 dhcp relay iapd-route-add  doesnt fix the DHCP6-PD bug in Comware v5.

The bug is when the builtin DHCP6-server in Comware v5 (on HP 5820, most likely on other models aswell) lease a prefix delegation (DHCP6-PD) for a client then the local routing table is never updated with the PD the client just received. The result is that the PD the client got is never routed towards the client CPE.

I have tried to setup DHCP6-relay as a workaround but it seems that the DHCP6-server gets even more confused if you try to DHCP6-relay to yourself (that is the 5820 will DHCP6-relay to its own DHCP6-server). I got the PD updating routingtable to work but then the native DHCP6 leases stopped working (client requesting a regular DHCP6 lease never receives an answer).

Would be great if builtiin DHCP6-server in Comware v7 once handing out a prefix delegation to a client would be able to update the local routing table the same way as competitors does. This works for example without problem if using Cisco 7200/NPE-G2 and I have seen similar for 3750 too, take a look here:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/enterprise-ipv6-solution/whitepaper_c11-689821.html

"

DHCPv6-PD Router: Installation of the route towards the CPE for the delegated prefix

Jan 28 02:18:55.620: IPv6RT0: static, Add 2001:DB8:1::/48 to table

Jan 28 02:18:55.620: IPv6RT0: static, Adding next-hop FE80::21A:2FFF:FE87:5602 over FastEthernet6/0 for 2001:DB8:1::/48, [1/0]

Jan 28 02:18:55.620: IPv6RT0: Event: 2001:DB8:1::/48, Add, owner static, previous None

! Note: If the Service Provider edge router made the binding between the CPE and its delegated prefix it will install automatically a static route for this delegated prefix into the routing table. The next-hop addresses used will be Link-Local.

"

How come HP refuse to fix this properly (I reported this back in february 2014, dunno if other(s) might have reported the same before me)?

Anyhow I couldnt care less about Comware v5 if v7 is about to get released for 5820 and the above works in v7.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

So the first stable Comware 7 release has arrived for 58xx:

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Any HPE representative who could enlighten us?

About 1 year later and still no official release of Comware 7 for HP 5820-24XG-SFP+ (JC102A) over at:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JC102A

WTF dudes/dudettes!?

ComAware

WTF indeed, 2 years later and no GA in sight.