6649 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: couldn't configure IRF on HP 5120 24 switch with two slots

temuri426
Frequent Advisor

hello fredrik, 

thanks for answer, so it means that JE066A  doesn't supports  IRF  feature. there are not any notes about this in the HP product buletin.  we mistakelly purchased wrong hardware..    :( 

mnantel
Advisor

Its unfortunately one of these things that hasnt carried over correctly from h3c's site:

http://h3c.com/portal/Products___Solutions/Products/Switches/H3C_S5120-EI_Series_Switches/Detail_Material_List/201111/732695_57_0.htm

In that spec sheet you unfortunately see that the slots are disabled.

IRF is ony 10GBps only for most platforms that have 10Gbps support on specific models.

Hope you can trade the product back!

----
CCIE 24349, MASE 2011 Networking
Canadian HPN Partner of the Year
temuri426
Frequent Advisor

many thanks to all... 

felipecust

Hello. 
I have the same doubt.
But, what if I try to configure IRF through 1Gbps SFP slots?  

temuri426
Frequent Advisor

felipecust

hello,  

it is not possible to configure IRF , there are not even IRF command in above mentioned switches. 

BraveKardia
Occasional Visitor

Hello mnantel, I tried to setup IRF as you mentioned and every time I connect the cables at the end, the slave reboot and freezes after couple of seconds. Both units running the same firmware. thanks

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

JE066A doesn't support IRF.

i.e. JE068A does.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
progercbs
Occasional Visitor

What is your software version ?

BilboBaggins
Visitor

Hi there, I'm a bit late on this post but I had this exact issue recently when setting up a new IRF stack. The IRF commands were simply not available in the CLI, even after updating the firmware to the latest version.

The way I solved this was to use the web GUI. (First add an IP to a VLAN interface, set your local IP to be on the same network, then enter the IP in the browser)

Once you get this far, there is a section called IRF in the GUI. (In IE I had to use the broken page button otherwise it kicked me off the page).

Anyway, I found that once I changed the IRF domain ID (save and reboot) that I was able to enter the IRF commands in the CLI. No idea why this happened but this fix worked for me..

Good luck!

MDella
Advisor

So one of the challanges we had with IRF was that it would NOT run on anything OTHER THAN a 10G interface.  We could get the BFD and MAD aspects to run on just about anything, but IRF itself would not work without 10G interfaces.  This originally was an issue as we had SFP modules in our switches (rather than the SFP+) so the switches were of course seeing the interfaces as 1G interfaces and therefore refusing to allow us to configure IRF.

So, I don't know the specific hardware you have (I saw mentions of pieces) but without the 10G ports, your out of luck.  What I personally don't understand is why, but its probably because they are trying to get a resonable percentage of the backplane speed of the switch to work across the interface.   I do know even if the switch is idle with nothing else going on or plugged into it, the IRF ports are running at full bore exchanging what looks like NOPs across the link ;-)

By the way, if you look at this post from an HP networking person up in Chicago, it gives a pretty clear explaination on how you might set up a 2 or more switch IRF configuration with failover, etc.  Its the images/drawings that really help.  Most examples only show two switches in the configuration, but two switches rarely show you WHY you wanted to set things up the way they were...