1753599 Members
6341 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

critical error switch 3Com Baseline

silex

critical error switch 3Com Baseline

Hi!

i have an error in the syslog console of a 3COM switch 2928-SFP.

Here is the error:

MSTP   critical     PFWD                 Instance 0's GigabitEthernet1/0/17 has been set to forwarding state!

What 's the probleme ?

Thanks

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
MGUERRERO

Re: critical error switch 3Com Baseline

hello, silex

i got the same error. do you found the solution?

leo_aoliveira

I'm having the same problem and the switch has been showing some flaws in the fall.
Monitoring the logs have identified this message:
0 GigabitEthernet instance 1.0/17 Has Been's set to forwarding state!

Can anyone help me?

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would replace the cables with CAT 6 and see if it goes back up.  Check the statistics for the port for errors including CRC. Force speed and duplex on the port and device on the other end.  If it 1 Gbps device. Set to speed = 1000 and duplex = full.

John Gelten
Regular Advisor

The messages that have been posted seem to indicate that a looped (redundant) path to the core (root) of your network as become active. Probably because the active/primary path has failed. The reason this is labeled 'critical' is that the primary link to your coreswitch has failed, not that fact this link has become active.

Could you confirm this interface is indeed 'up' after this critical log has been generated ?

I can't find any reason to think the interface is down, based on the info given (as Michael seems to assume the interface is down)

edit:

Silly me... 'forwarding state' does not imply a link to your coreswitch, it just means this interface has been activated.

So my biggest question would be: was this interface operational before this log-entry ?  And after ?

Anun2004
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I have this problem too.

Device : HP V1910 48G Switch

Syslog

1. IFNET | Warning | LINK UPDOWN : GigabitEthernet1/0/36: link status is DOWN

2. MSTP | Critical  | PFWD  : Instance 0's GigabitEthernet1/0/XX has been set to forwarding state!

I have an error in the syslog,  What 's the probleme ? And,Please suggest how to solve this problem for me.

Thanks,

Best Regards

Anun P.

BadgerIT

I am having this issue as well.

I am chalking it up to a faulty device. It was sending out an enormous amount of packets to the point that it was bogging down my switch. I set the threshold to a lower limit and I started getting this syslog message constantly. Once I removed that device that was causing this error, it went away, and I could plug in a different device and I had no issues.

Check your threshold, connected device, and port statistics to see if there is some issue with the connected device itself.