5815 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: doubts about trunks and vlans

fffrrr
Occasional Contributor

doubts about trunks and vlans

Hi everyone,

Im configuring a VLAN voice on two different 2948 baseline switches. Im create a VLAN voice (with vlan ID 2 and named it "Voice") individually, I mean, on each switch ("SISTEMAS 1" and "SISTEMAS 2"), but I dont know if this kind of configuration is correct, I mean, I know the VLAN configuration in one switch have to replicate to other if port trunk is configured on both, but how can I configure the trunk ports on both?

You have to know that 3com switches is not my specialty.

I tried with Link aggregation on 47th port on both switches and I used a crossover cable between them, but nothing.

The next screenshots of the link aggregation configuration on SISTEMAS 2 switch (but SISTEMAS 1 have the same configuration on the same port):

What kind of configuration I have to make to both switches (and others of the same type) handle and share the same VLAN configuration?

Topology:

4 REPLIES 4
monkeysnax

I'm definitely not an expert on this but wouldn't you need to use two different ports on each switch? I'm assuming that the fiber port 47 and the copper port 47 are one port. Also, not sure but might want to verify that you can create a lag on two different types of ports (copper and fiber).

fffrrr
Occasional Contributor

A set of ports corresponding to a fiber port. If you clic on one of them (from port 1 to port 48) the fiber port to which it belongs it turn on, but this doesn't mean that the fiber port is connect it.

fffrrr
Occasional Contributor

by the way, what kind of cable I have to use? By the default both switches (SISTEMAS 1 and SISTEMAS 2 are connected using a straight-through cable on 48th port) but Im using a crossover cable between 46th port on SISTEMAS 1 and 47th port on SISTEMAS 2 to test the link between them.

Rob_Korn
Advisor

I am confused, I thought the problem was "vlan trunk" so you can have the Voice and data vlans travel over same port. But then you went into how to setup "link aggregation". Aggregate links are when you want to increase bandwidth between switches by bundling or combining multiple ports between switches.

Please do not confuse a "vlan trunk" with an "aggregate link", this will only make your head spin in circles.

Most of this confusing comes from the "Cisco Speak" that uses different terms for techniques than the other vendors.

A "trunk" setting in 3com switch tells the port to expect ONLY tagged vlan traffic on both ends of the connection.

Whereas a "port trunk" in Cisco switch says 2 or more ports are combined to increase bandwidth.

Have I helped or hurt this project, hmmmm.

Rob.