1751712 Members
5187 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpe flex switch - stp root

hpeuser2021
Occasional Advisor

hpe flex switch - stp root

hi. in STP, under port instance status, all the ports are in "designated" mode under "role" column

but 1 port is on "root"

the switch on the other side is aruba 1930, and it's stp admin mode is turned off by default. what can be the cause of this "root" issue?

thank you

8 REPLIES 8
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Since stp is enabled for the swich/port so the switch is acting as root in the topology.

Hopefully rest are in forwarding state.

If you are not using stp in your topology then disabling the stp will remove root status.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
hpeuser2021
Occasional Advisor

i'll look it up further ahead on the next switches, thank you

hpeuser2021
Occasional Advisor

update :

i've setup this flex switch to root - priority 0. and it seems that my disconnections and hangs have stopped, and the "root" remark in previous post vanished. now i have these in logs :

entry 1 : 

The block action by dispute guard was undone on Instance 0's port Ten-GigabitEthernet1/0/26. The port transited to learning state.

entry 2 : 
Instance 0's port Ten-GigabitEthernet1/0/26 received an inferior BPDU from a designated port which is in forwarding or learning state. The designated bridge ID contained in the BPDU is 32768.0012-7762-0da2, and the designated port ID contained in the BPDU is 128.9.

i know the switch in port 26, what should i look for in there?

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Which device is connected to port 1/0/26?

What is the priority over there?

Can you change the priority into the connecting device on port 1/0/26?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
hpeuser2021
Occasional Advisor

it's aruba 1930, with default priority 

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Any other switch connecting downside to HEP 1930 switch with priority 0?

Thanks!

hpeuser2021
Occasional Advisor

i have checked and it seems that all are set to the default of 32000 something

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to ask, which device is root device, model name?

Is it comware?

Root switch is receiving inferior BPDU from the designated port of another switch. This is might be becaue switch might have lost its path to the root.

If root switch is comware then can you try to disable STP dispute. It is enabled by default.

[comware] undo stp dispute-protection

Thanks!