1753278 Members
5516 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: installing a 4-port 10-Gb SFP+ zl in a 5412zl chassis

farleymon
Occasional Contributor

installing a 4-port 10-Gb SFP+ zl in a 5412zl chassis

I physically plugged a 4-port 10Gb SFP+ zl module (J9309A) into a 5412zl chassis (J8698A) and the log says "Slot D Inactive: Module/Configuration mismatch". The 5400 is running version K.19.60. Is this a firmware problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

J8994A do you have this premium license installed? 

farleymon
Occasional Contributor

It doesn't look like it. When I do a show license, it lists premium under Feature Group and Not Installed under License Status.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

When I first looked at the HP5412zl, you needed to buy an expensive premium license.  The new models come with it.  You might want to call HP to see if you can get the premium license without cost.  Otherwise, it was around $3000.

I ended up getting the A5800 switches instead.  A5820 24port 10 Gbps because it fully supports 10 Gbps across all ports.  5412zl only does 8 Gbps per port if all four are used and backplane was 14 Gbps total.  It was not a good 10 Gbps switch.

farleymon
Occasional Contributor

From what I was able to ascertain, the permium licensing enables some routing protocols.

The reason I'm trying to install a 10Gb fiber module is to connect our current switch to a new building in our campus and wanted to do it without acquiring a new switch.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I still believe you need it to enable the 10 Gbps modules along with OSPF routing.   Did you get the 10 Gbps transcerivers for the fiber?  They were $1500 each.  Call HP support and ask them about it.   It might be better getting two A5800-48G-POE switches over two 10 Gbps modules.   The POE switches come with two fully supported 4 port 10 Gbps SFP+ modules.  When I looked at the 5412zl, you lowered the internal temperature to 104F on the cards before they disable themselves.  It has been a few years since I looked at the 5412zl.  Another thing was the location of the 10 Gbps modules.  You needed to put them on a certain side of the 5412zl for better cooling. 

SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Probably a typo, K.19.60 does not exist. The support for the J9309A module was added in K.14.35.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

This is not a licence problem! You need to reboot your switch. You previously had a different module type in that slot which is why it says mismatch. You can put it in a different empty slot that has not had a different module type plugged in during this power cycle.

As far as I know, there is no way to clear the module info without a restart. 

The 4 port 10Gb is also a V1 module (not V2). If you have forced on the new operating mode that only supports new modules, you will get an error too.

BTW, this should probably go in the (now outdated) E Series section. A Series most closely correlates with comware/H3C/3com switches; E Series with ProCurve.

jwcp
Visitor

I had a similar issue and used the no module X  command for any problem slots and pulled and reinserted the affected cards. They came up just fine after that.