New Discussion юеВ

Re: irf config

SOLVED
Go to solution
larrymac
Frequent Advisor

irf config

Hi 

I have attached config of newly created irf group.

I have a few questions if somebody could shed some light on.

Why is the default port link type set as bridge?  

And why did the POE and STP settings etc not carry over onto Unit 2?

Also from the config how can I confrim that irf is correclty setup?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No settings should be "carried over" to a newly added IRF member. The STP settings aren't default, so you'll have to explicitly configure them. 

From your display irf conf/topo you can confirm that the IRF has been set up.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Alan-WJ
Occasional Advisor

Ok the first thing is that the default setting are generally set that way because that is the most common setting. Bridge is the most used setting for ports, other settings such as router and not used as much.

In terms of the configurtion of STP and PoE, these settinsg (and other settings) will not be copied between units because there is a boundary between units. The settings apply to 10/100/1000 ports and you have 10Gb connecting units 1+2 in IRF so you cannot do port groups starting 1/0/1 to 2/0/48 from example. You would have to do 1/0/1 to 1/0/48 and then 2/0/1 to 2/0/48 (for a 48 port version)

Finally your IRF is up and running,  you can see both units and your IRF ports are active, the display show a correct configuration. If you want to test this, the pull one of the IRF cables and you should still see both units.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

HI larrymac,

A couple of further comments:

- I would strongly recommend changing your passwords (now that you've posted the encrypted version of them on a public web site) and turning off the snmp write community (or at least protecting it with an ACL).

- The settings that you have on your ports in unit 1 were explicitly set on each port, so you must explicitly set them on each port in unit 2 as well. One easy way to do this is to set up an interface range, e.g.:

interface range name edgeports interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 to GigabitEthernet2/0/28

Then whenever you want to change a setting on all ports, you can do:

interface range name edgeports
broadcast-suppression pps 2000
Regards,
Paul
larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Alan
larrymac
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Paul,

I factory defaulted the units and did not set a password.  These units are in a test lab and only for demo puropses so no customer information.

Thanks for the info on the ports.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

That's a relief!  :-)

Regards,
Paul