New Discussion

Re: irf-port fails to recover configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brizek
Occasional Contributor

irf-port fails to recover configuration

Hello,
I have some switches A5500-48G-PoE+ EI JG240A and few of them have issue with irf settings (I am using same irf settings and steps). I am configuring all switches without irf cables connected so every switch is solo and it is just prepared for irf stacking. Main problem is that after reboot these problem switches lose their config about irf-ports and in log is:

Command port group interface Ten-GigabitEthernet3/1/1 mode normal fails to recover configuration.

Command port group interface Ten-GigabitEthernet3/1/2 mode normal fails to recover configuration.

In #dis current I am missing:

irf-port 3/1
port group interface Ten-GigabitEthernet3/1/1 mode normal

irf-port 3/2
port group interface Ten-GigabitEthernet3/1/2 mode normal

but in startup.cfg these lines are present (checked with more startup.cfg).

I have updated these switches to newest firmware (Comware Software, Version 5.20.99, Release 2221P08) but the problem is still there. 

I have tried to let Ten3/1/1 shutted down and reboot. Ater that I can see in current that irf-port 3/1 is there and no complains in log. Problem is that with shutted port the irf will not work anyway.

Any idea what can be wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisKoch
Advisor

Hello,

as I understand:

1- you configure a switch to be part of an IRF (not member 1)

2- reboot it with IRF ports enabled but no cables connected

3- got an error

Am I right? 

Does it work when you reboot it with the cables connected?

I suspect that the switch needs to find the member 1 for the first reboot...

Brizek
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

yes the steps are as you wrote.

Problem was when I connect irf cables the switch reboots. But the config of irf ports dissappeared and so it cannot connect to irf stack. 

I have tested it now on new switch and all steps in attachement.  This switch was connected only with console cable to computer and all setting were done trough it. I have rebooted (power off) few times and whole config is fine (including irf).

So I don't get why the previous switch have a issue with the irf config. I am courious if somebody have same issue. I don't have direct access to it, so I cannot reset it to default now.

Thanks

AlexisKoch
Advisor

Hi!

I don't see any error in the file you attached... I configured a few 2-units IRF but only 1 3-unit and didn't face this problem.

The reboot when you connect the IRF cables is normal (but the loss of config not, of course).

Are you sure of your cabling?

IRF Port 1/1 connected to IRF port 2/2

Port 2/1 to port 3/2

Port 3/1 to port 1/2

Brizek
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi all,

thanks for help but I have find out the problem on testing switch. The problem was in startup.cfg and the problematics lines are:

#
header shell %
eth-n0-h-01%
header incoming %
eth-n0-h-01% header login %

#

I have removed it and it is working. I think that the last one is the one causing this problem. I don't know who configured it and how this can happen, I was called to broken irf. But now it is working fine. 

Thanks