7597 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: switch not booting - says bootrom not found

shashi kanth
Super Advisor

switch not booting - says bootrom not found

Hi,

We have one 5920 Switch, it is not booting, it says boot-rom is not found. It is prompting for install/upgrading bootrom.  I tried upgrading bootrom via .ipe and .bin files over XMODEM console connection, but it did not worked.

Is installing/upgrading bootrom requires any other file ? Can someone please suggest what can be done now?

8 REPLIES 8
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Shashi,

This is not a normal situation.  Bootrom files are integrated into Comware and update when needed.  Have you tried installing a new version .ipe through the bootrom menu?  If so, it still would not boot?

I checked online and it doesn't look like we have separate bootrom images available at the moment.

My recommendation would be to open a support case so that we can look it over and see what is happening.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
shashi kanth
Super Advisor

The switch is directly going to "basic boot menu" and giving the options of updating bootrom and booting extend bootrom. Boot from extend bootrom is not happening, it says extended bootrom is not found. I tried update with .ipe and .bin files over XMODEM, but it says "no basic bootrom file, and no extednded bootrom file". I have attached the screenshot of all these. I have attached screenshot of all these.

The switch is not under warrenty, hence i am trying to get some help from community.

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi Shashi!

The bootrom is in a BTM file and you would load that with the basic menu that you see now.  If you have a BTM file on another 5920, you could use it to load into the broken switch.  I don't have one unfortunately and there aren't any on My Networking that I can see.

You could always do a "per issue" support case but I don't know what we charge for that.  You can ask at +1 844.806.3425.

Sorry.

David

shashi kanth
Super Advisor

Thank you David,

I have another 5920 working switch, but where i can find .btm file in it?

Could you please guide me with the commands.

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

If you had a BTM, it will be on Flash in the normal directory tree.  It's not hidden anywhere.  That said, someone would have had to get one and put it there.  It's doubtful that you would have one unless you had a similar issue before.  But it would be worth looking.

I'll keep my eyes open in case I should come across one.  Not hopeful though.

Regards,

David

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Wouldn't be possible to use a working HPE 5920 to load a comparable ipe file (where with comparable I mean an ipe file with the same version which was running before the issue on the HPE 5920 that doesn't boot anymore) and use that one to extract Boot ROM image (btm file) and Software images (which are boot bin file and system bin file)? if so...will it only a matter of (a) finding the right ipe file that also contain a valid BootROM image file [*] and, once extracted, (b) to tranfer the extracted BootROM image file back to the problematic 5920 which can't actually boot...BootROM image file should be generally contained (that need to be verified, not all ipe files contain it if it's not necessary) on ipe file when the new software version requires not only new boot/system bin files for the upgrade but also a new BootROM (it happens not so frequently).

[*] or not?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
shashi kanth
Super Advisor

The question is, how we can extract a bootrom file (.btm) from an .ipe file? How? 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK IPE file content can't be extracted not involving a suitable Comware based switch [*], IPE file can be managed only by a Comware based Switch via a proper Comware CLI command: there is a command that will let the Switch to use the IPE file and it will let it to extract its content (generally the boot and system bin files)...doing also a sort of validation of them during the extraction...once files have been extracted (See Release Notes) they will appear - free space permitting - on the Switch's internal flash filesystem...ready to be used to perform a Switch update (boot and system files).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner