108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: switch removal from IRF?

SOLVED
Go to solution
johnnym57
Occasional Advisor

switch removal from IRF?

Hi. I have 5 switches in an IRF. I want to remove member 5 to use elsewhere. Can anyone please advise me the neatest way to do this?

Should I shutdown the  two ports on the switch being removed, undo the IRF ports at the console on member 5 and then disconnect the cables from the 5th member. I've experience at setting up but not unpicking and I'm assuming I can just reverse the process. I assume the remaining 4 switches will restart when I unplug the cables from the 5th member? The 5th member I can just reset once I have safely removed it but am unsure of this proess in cae it causes a problem with the other 4 swicthes.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Is that 5th member placed at the end of the IRF chain (if chain) or placed into the IRF ring (if ring)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
johnnym57
Occasional Advisor

Ring. Port 51 goes back up to port 52 of the 1st member,  Port 52 of this switch is connected to port 51 of the 4th member just above. Thank you.

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Do not forget to renumber the Switch you're withdrawing, something like:

undo irf-port 5/51
undo irf-port 5/52
irf member 5 renumber 1
save
reboot

once you shutdown physical ports member of IRF Port 1 and 2 of the member you're removing from the IRF Stack.

Then you should close the IRF Ring again connecting IRF Ports between 4th and 1st IRF Member.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner