Re: vlan 1

@Vince-Whirlwind

Great observation !

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
tetzPeha
Advisor

@Vince-Whirlwind

thx for your feedback, so for a BAGG, your advice is to do not use "link-aggregation mode dynamic" ?

and btw, VTP from cisco, i never use it, i disable it because it's a lack of security (same on HP)

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

I wouldn't draw that conclusion.  I would vote to always use dynamic and therefore LACP.  It is much more resiliant and the other benefit is that with multiple links, your link-aggregation bandwidth grows with each added link.  Static doesn't do that.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Are not we confusing the LACP issue? Because COMWARE only works with static Link-Aggregation. When we enter with the syntax below, the switch will be using static lacp.

link-aggregation mode dynamic
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Johnk3r,

Sorry but no.  You are incorrect.  Comware does static and dynamic link aggregation.  If you use static link agg there is no state information maintained and the link is always up.  The other end will never know if there is a link down.

If you set the mode to dynamic, it uses LACP and that will maintain link state information and allow multiple links to be bound into the link aggregation to increase the bandwidth as the sum of all of the link speeds.  Assuming, of course, that all of the links are of the same speed.  If there are mixed speeds, the link agg will run at the speed of the slowest link.

To my knowledge there is nothing called "static LACP."  If you are using LACP you are doing dynamic link aggregation.

Regards,

David

johnk3r
Respected Contributor

2018-01-27 18_10_28-Adobe Digital Editions - HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions V3_PD43530.png

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Wow, that's amazing.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If you use static link agg there is no state information maintained and the link is always up.  The other end will never know if there is a link down.

I'm not sure what you mean.
If a link is physically up, and if it is in a LAGG, then that link ID will be included in the LAGG hashing algorithm and potentially receive outgoing packets.
If a link is not physically up and it's in the LAGG, the LAGG will not send any packets to it, no matter how you have it configured.

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Vince-Whirlwind,

That's not how it works on Comware.  In a static Link agg, if the link goes down on the other side Comware doesn't know it and data will continue to flow into the link agg.  That has been my experience.  Static link-agg also does not aggregate the speed either.  It's just a pipe that is always open.

David

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

johnk3r,

I'm not sure where you got that text from but there is no such a thing as "Static LACP."  By it's nature, LACP is a dynamic protocol that manages the ports in a link aggregation group.  On Comware, that is what a dynamic Link-agg is. 

Static is static.  Ports are added to the a link-agg group and no state information is maintained.  It is just "there."

Regards,

David