Comware Based
1752738 Members
5325 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

why does 5500G-EI complains on static multicast ?

chipitsine1
Advisor

why does 5500G-EI complains on static multicast ?

mac-address multicast 0100-5e7f-06fe interface GigabitEthernet 6/0/46 GigabitEthernet 5/0/5 vlan 1

Not support this operation!

5 REPLIES 5
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: why does 5500G-EI complains on static multicast ?

Try to enter the command to one port then re-enter the command to the other port, if you need this MAC binded to these two ports. The command syntax is wrong. When you type the following command:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />

<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />

<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />

Normal

false

false

false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

mac-address multicast <mac-address> interface giga <port> to giga <port> vlan <n>

You are entering a sequence range, not two specific ports.

HTH

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 8-2-10 @ 8:52 AM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
chipitsine1
Advisor

no, I didn't mean a range and I didn't specify "to" keyword.

however, entering single port has the same "Not support this operation!" (sounds like an imperative :-)

can you try running such command (and show us the result) on 5500G-EI ?

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

I already set up this feature in a 5500G of a customer, but unfortunately I don't have a 5500 in my environment in order to enter the command and show you the output. But as far as I know it's quite simple: you have to enter the command in global mode or under the desired interface, then enter a static ARP entry regarding the MAC if you are using virtual IP address with this MAC (Network Load Balance, for example). In the configuration guide you can see these notes:

# If the multicast MAC address entry to be created already exists, the system gives you a prompt.

# If you want to add a port to a multicast MAC address entry created through the mac-address

multicast command, you need to remove the entry first, create this entry again, and then add the specified port to the forwarding ports of this entry.

# You cannot configure a multicast MAC address starting with 01005e on Switch 5500G series switches.

# You cannot enable link aggregation on a port on which you have configured a multicast MAC address, and you cannot configure a multicast MAC address on an aggregation port.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen
chipitsine1
Advisor

hmm, I'm curious... how could you do

mac-address  multicast 0100-5e7f-06fe interface GigabitEthernet 6/0/46  GigabitEthernet 5/0/5 vlan 1

if "# You cannot configure a multicast MAC address starting with 01005e on Switch 5500G series switches." ?

thank you for making it clear.

but now the second question - why 01005e is prohibited exactly for 5500 ? I seen example for 8800 and it is ok for it.

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Yes...I'm curious also about this limitation. But I couldn't find any explanation regarding it.

Regards

Regards,
Fred Mancen