Comware Wireless / Unified Series
1752511 Members
5488 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Converting IAP into controller managed AP

mahmoudnabil

Converting IAP into controller managed AP

I've a question regarding the conversion from IAP aruba instant AP to be managed by a mobility controller ,

I've 10 IAP-207 APs running on aruba-os 6.5.2.0 , i can manage them from a webpage through the ip of the master AP , automatically elected

The 10 APs are connected to Aruba/HP 2920 switch , each port of the switch which is connected to an AP is tagged in vlan 5 , 10 , these vlans are also created on the APs each vlan is for specific SSID wireless network .

And on the switch  each vlan has an uplink port "untagged" to the firewall lan ports .

Now i will deploy the "aruba controller 7010" to manage these APs , the question here is how the physical connection between the APs , the controller and  the switch be like ?

, also is there a software required for the controller or it will be managed through a webpage , and how i can

create 2 wireless networks on the controller each with a separate  uplink to the firewall as each port of the 2 firewall lan ports is the DHCP server for each vlan,

Also can i use the lan ports on the controller as uplinks to the firewall to avoid using the standard uplinks 1000base-x ports ?

1 REPLY 1
davidgrocke
Occasional Contributor

Re: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

Quickly, by adding a controller your APs will talk on their native/untagged VLAN to the controller. That can be the same VLAN or a separate routed VLAN if need be. 

If you are advertising the same SSIDs and same logic, you would tag VLAN 5 and 10 to your controller so that users would drop out from your controller. You no longer need VLAN 5 and 10 tagged to each of your APs. If you are tagging your VLANs up to your firewall on a single port, then simply assing a port on your controller to tag the VLANs required. If you have two separate physical ports on your firewall, you could present VLAN 5 on one port and VLAN 10 on another port on your controller to match your firewall configuraion (tagged or untagged).. And yes, just use the standard copper/RJ45 ports on the 7010 to present these uplinks to your firewall. 

The controller can be managed via a webpage hosted on the controller. AirWave is a management tool that offers long term visibility of statistics, floor maps, topology maps, etc. AirWave would be cheap too for just 11 devices. 

I hope that helps, but let us know how you go. You have posted in the Comware forum, you should head over to http://community.arubanetworks.com/ as you will get a faster response from one of the Aruba team.