5621 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Migration options for legacy 3com WX4400

stevenb_1
Advisor

Migration options for legacy 3com WX4400

Greetings all,

Since the HP buyout of 3com, I find myself in a predicament.

We have a legacy 3com WX4400 wireless controller, however we need to add access points and potentially in future replace failed access points. Trouble is – they no longer make the access points (in our case, 3com AP2750’s). We have over 80 AP2750 access points dotted around our campus. Ideally.. we either need a replacement HP/H3C controller that is current/supported that can manage existing AP2750 access points, or somehow update the controller to be able to accept new types of access points. We cannot afford to replace all 80+ existing managed access points with the current model.

Also, I've tried converting a HP AP7760 (apparently this access point replaces the AP2750) to “FIT” managed mode, however our WX4400 can not detect these access points.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Lagacy to Comware Wireless / Unified Series. - Hp forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Rob_Korn
Advisor

Re: Migration options for legacy 3com WX4400

My team is in the same situation.  We have found a respected vendor who will sell 2750 radios, with lifetime warranty.  CxTec.com

Good luck.

stevenb_1
Advisor

Hmmm... so that's where they all are ;) Short term I could just buy a job lot in, but with them being end of line they are frustratingly difficult to get hold of AND expensive (in the UK anyway... just like everything else!) but we need a longer term solution.

Does anyone know if the HP 5004 access controller will manage AP2750's? THis seems to be the replacement for the H3C 5004 access controller (which in turn replaced the WX4400... supposedly)

Anouk
Occasional Visitor

The WX5004 supports the 7760 (a/b/g), 8760 (a/b/g), 9152 (n), 9552 (n). As far as I'm aware, the 2750s are only supported on the previous generation (WX4400s - Trapeze) controllers.

Fortunately for us, we've deployed 8760s to most (smaller) clients in an unmanaged WLAN fashion. These environments have since grown, requiring controllers, in which case the new WX3/5xx works great. The APs do, however, require a firmware upgrade in order to act as MAPs.