Converged Data Center Infrastructure
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Austrian law firm chooses winning hyperconverged disaster recovery solution with HPE SimpliVity

WhitneyGarcia

Logo Binder Groesswang  Schwarz.jpg

At Binder Grösswang, one of Austria’s leading law firms, lawyers and administrative staff work at all hours and need uninterrupted access to documents and business applications. For Matteo Tassi, head of IT, that meant he needed a reliable and high-performance disaster-recovery solution.   

When the time came for Tassi to upgrade the company’s storage, he wanted the ability to accelerate data replication speeds across the firm’s two data centers, and to restore information quickly when needed. That moment came one Monday morning when he suddenly faced a severe case of data loss.

“I had to restore two terabytes of information from a file server,” said Tassi. “We tried doing it with our traditional backup solution, but when the restore process began, the status bar indicated that it would take five hours.” That was far too long to wait.

From 5 hours to 10 seconds 

Tassi decided to try restoring the data from his remote site with HPE SimpliVity powered by Intel®, the hyperconverged solution he had recently implemented for storage. “It was unbelievable. In three clicks and 10 seconds, I restored all the data,” said Tassi. “It was an epiphany. At that point I knew I would never go back to a traditional hardware storage stack.”  

Recovering valuable company data so quickly assured Tassi that upgrading Binder Grösswang’s traditional server and storage to HPE SimpliVity’s hyperconverged platform was a smart move. And while Tassi kept his traditional backup solution for compliance reasons, HPE SimpliVity now serves as the company’s primary disaster-recovery solution. In addition to five nodes of HPE SimpliVity, Tassi also purchased HPE Nimble hybrid-flash storage for his virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environment.

Binder Groesswang_blog callout quote.jpg

What separates HPE SimpliVity from the pack

The feature that most attracted Tassi to HPE SimpliVity was its inline data deduplication, a capability he didn’t see in any other solution on the market. “We found its inline deduplication to be unique and the most important feature missing from all the competitors’ solutions,” said Tassi.

The inline deduplication feature has delivered the data efficiency Tassi has been seeking, allowing him to shrink Binder Grösswang’s storage footprint by about two-thirds. “Before HPE SimpliVity, we had to constantly expand our storage, buying a new array and configuring our RAID groups and discs,” said Tassi. “That’s gone. Since we implemented HPE SimpliVity, our storage doesn’t get full because of the deduplication.”

When asked whether he recommends a hyperconverged infrastructure solution, Tassi doesn’t hesitate. “I would absolutely advise my peers and colleagues to move to a hyperconverged platform, and I encourage them to consider the speed of the data restoration,” said Tassi.

And he’s equally decisive about HPE SimpliVity: “There is no competitor offering HPE SimpliVity’s full set of features. I really like it.”

To learn more about how Binder Grösswang is using HPE SimpliVity to improve business operations, read the full case study.

And for more details on how hyperconvergence can help simplify your IT, download the free e-book: Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Dummies.

Related articles:

Whitney

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

0 Kudos
About the Author

WhitneyGarcia

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more