Converged Data Center Infrastructure
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Don’t be misled... HPE and Nutanix are not partners.

Josh First

People run lots of software on HPE servers from companies that dont have OEM or direct support agreements. Are you saying that if the software isnt from HP then you dont recomend it be run? 
I also noticed that you have a converged system with Arista and VMware.  How many vendors is that? 

I like HP servers but you're talking in circles above. 

0 Kudos
About the Author

Josh First

Comments
Josh First

People run lots of software on HPE servers from companies that dont have OEM or direct support agreements. Are you saying that if the software isnt from HP then you dont recomend it be run? 
I also noticed that you have a converged system with Arista and VMware.  How many vendors is that? 

I like HP servers but you're talking in circles above. 

Randolph Dryer

So you are saying you don't support a customer running a virtual machine on your hardware? Because thats all that Nutanix is.

Also; your "hyper-converged" solution runs on VMware ESX.

Since when can I call you for issues with ESX?

Because your support staff doesn't support ESX, VMware does that.

Also what does a hardware failure have to do with the support of software running on top? 

When my Windows 10 VM has an issue, can I call you? No. I would call either VMware or Microsoft.

And with Nutanix that would be the same. If it's a hardware issue, I call HPE. For anything software related I call the softwarw vendor.

Just like it has always been.

Nothing has changed with Nutanix testing a few of your servers.

If you say it will cause problems, you are saying your servers are crap and incompatible with industry standard software.

WhitneyGarcia

Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the blog!

I agree with you that a lot of our customers run lots of software on HPE ProLiant servers…and in the majority of these cases, HPE works extremely closely with software vendor to ensure that the customers has a seamless experience. Our current concern is the claim Nutanix is making of being able to run their software on HPE Servers without any in-depth firmware testing all long term planning. They deployed a similar tactic with Cisco late last year. The concern I have is Nutanix is not working closely with HPE…and who will the customer turn to in the event a future ProLiant server firmware release does not work with the Nutanix software. Is Nutanix really committed to maintain all their software release for all the different types of servers that are running their software…I am not sure they are.

Paul

WhitneyGarcia

Hi Randolph, 

HPE has an OEM agreements with both VMW and Microsoft. With VMW in particular, we have sold vSphere to thousands of customers over the past 10 years. Under this model, we take the first call on any and all vSphere issues. We have literally fielded, addressed and resolved thousands of support calls on hypervisor issues.

It’s all about the architectural decisions that the software vendor makes on your behalf. Consider with NTNX, using a replication factor of 2, which is almost always what gets recommended during the product evaluation phase. While everything is working correctly, you’ll have no problems at all. The moment a drive fails, the NTNX system goes into a panicked rebuild state where application performance suffers, unless of course you’re not running any material load on the system. The system now has to choose between servicing customer requests and getting to a known good state. It also knows that if a second hard-drive fails while in this degraded state, the potential for data loss exists. The system has to choose between maintaining performance and being exposed to data loss. In that case the choice is easy, it will need to get to a non-degraded state.  Consider this -- Is this a hardware issue (failed hard drive) or is it a software issue (flawed architecture)? Who do you call?  We want to ensure our customers have the best possible experience, both when things are running great and when things are in a degraded state. We want you to have the best, without any compromises – that includes performance AND support.

Thanks for your comments!

Paul

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more