Converged Data Center Infrastructure
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True partnerships with solid support is the best way to hug customers

PaulMiller

bigstock-Portrait-of-group-of-happy-fri-147309794.jpgA few weeks ago, I wrote an article, Don’t be misled…HPE and Nutanix are not partners. As the title suggests, the article explains how Nutanix appears to be trying to mislead customers into thinking HPE and Nutanix are partners in delivering Nutanix software on HPE ProLiant hardware.  A Nutanix blogger fired back, implying that HPE doesn’t care about customers because we don’t offer enough choice. 

As you would expect, I politely disagree. In fact, I believe our partnerships combined with HPE’s expansive solution offerings give our customers more choices than anyone--and therefore, the most benefit. I’ve long asserted that strong partnerships built on collaboration and R&D investment are vital to providing a seamless hyperconverged experience that customers demand. And HPE can offer that. Nutanix cannot.

The importance of seamless integrations throughout the product lifecycle

To truly understand the difference in what HPE and Nutanix offer, let’s look a little closer at the promise of hyperconverged solutions. By definition, hyperconverged is integrated hardware, hypervisor, software-defined storage, and management software. This integration simplifies deployment and management of virtual environments throughout the entire product lifecycle (including firmware updates) in order to ensure compatibility across multiple generations of hardware.

HPE takes these integrations very seriously, investing R&D dollars that ensure that the hardware, software and support services work seamlessly together. For example, the HPE SimpliVity solution provides customers with the best hyperconverged experience across the end-to-end stack with close partners like VMware, Microsoft, Docker and many others. And all of these partnerships are backed by support agreements. It’s via these close partnerships that allow us to truly hug our customers--by ensuring they are supported completely -- through the entire product lifecycle.

Interesting enough, Nutanix takes a different approach. The blogger who wrote the article I mentioned above reminds us that the Nutanix CEO once wrote, “We’re just a freakin’ app.”  Yet, they market themselves as an integrated stack.  So which is it?

What Nutanix didn’t say …

To my surprise, the Nutanix blogger didn’t dispute the advantages HPE SimpliVity delivers.

• Guaranteed data efficiency with always-on compression and inline duplication (data center footprint reduction, 90% capacity savings, 10:1 device reduction)[i]
  • Built-in resiliency, backup, and disaster recovery  (restore 1TB VM in less than 60 seconds)[ii]
  • Global VM-centric management and mobility    
  • VM-centric management and rapid VM deployment (1,000 VMs in less than an hour with peak and predictable performance)[iii]

HPE SimpliVity customers receive all of these benefits--plus the assurance that the solution is backed by industry-leading, worldwide support, and partnerships. A recent TechValidate survey reveals that the number one reason customers recommend HPE hyperconverged solutions is because we are a trusted partner with long-term viability. HPE offers a complete package that enables businesses to move faster, increase productivity, and decrease costs including:

• Significant TCO savings--49% TCO savings over 3 years compared to AWS[iv]
  • Increased time for innovation--customer report 81% increase[v]

So … who is actually doing the hugging here?

HPE loves our customers, and we encourage them to share their experiences. Nutanix has a different approach. In fact, the Nutanix license agreement doesn’t allow any customer to publish benchmark results. On the other hand, the HPE license agreement doesn’t restrict customers from publishing their numbers.

The Nutanix blogger also seems to confuse Microsoft’s model of success with the Nutanix model, alluding to the fact that Microsoft’s commitment to numerous platforms is what made them successful. But in my opinion, Microsoft has been successful due to strong partnerships, working with companies to provide complete solutions for customers--solutions that integrate software and hardware stacks together seamlessly.

A perfect example of this is HPE’s 30+ year partnership with Microsoft. Most recently, HPE and Microsoft partnered in a joint development project for Azure Stack, where both R&D teams collaborated to ensure the difficult and complex integration worked well. HPE support teams are also working with Microsoft support teams to provide the best experience for customers. Both companies have established joint innovation centers where customers can experience the combined products working together. And both HPE and Microsoft marketing and sales teams are working together to help customers solve their business challenges.

Strong partnerships on display at HPE Discover 2017

Interested in finding out more? Come and see HPE’s latest innovations in person or online at HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas.  HPE will be joined by multiple customers and partners (Microsoft and a long list of others) who will share how we have worked together to transform business through joint innovation.  We’ll be highlighting how customers are transforming their businesses through a portfolio of solutions across mobile applications, IoT, high performance, in-memory computing, mission critical applications, cloud computing, software-defined infrastructure,  composable infrastructure, and of course--hyperconverged.  Come see how organizations can go beyond hyperconverged with HPE--a true partner for success! And to hear more about HPE Hyper Converged, follow @HPEConverged_DI on twitter and #HPEdare2compare.

Paul

[i] 90% capacity savings guaranteed across production and backup storage capacity while improving application performance, SimpliVity End User License Agreement. 10:1 device reduction, 2016 TechValidate Survey.
[ii] HPE guarantee
[iii] ESG Lab Validation Report, Feb. 2016
[iv] Evaluator Group, Is Hyperconverged Cost-Competitive with the Cloud? February 2016.
[v] IDC White Paper “Next Generation Convergence & SimpliVity's Hyperconverged Technology,” April 2016.

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

Paul Miller
VP of Marketing, HPE

twitter.gif@HPE_ConvergedDI
linkedin.gifPaul Miller

0 Kudos
About the Author

PaulMiller

Paul Miller is VP of Marketing for the HPE Software-Defined and Cloud Group business unit. The SDCG organization is responsible for marketing for HPE Synergy, HPE OneView, and Hyper Converged Solutions portfolio.

Events
Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Join us online to talk directly with our HPE experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Days. P...
Read more
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more