108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

7.3.4, 8.1.6, and 8.1.7 to 9i upgrade documentation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Carter_1
Advisor

7.3.4, 8.1.6, and 8.1.7 to 9i upgrade documentation

I'm looking for some documentation addressing upgrades from Oracle 7.3.4, 8.1.6, and 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. The new operating system will be 64bit HP-UX 11.11 (11i ver 1.0).
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me
4 REPLIES 4
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Re: 7.3.4, 8.1.6, and 8.1.7 to 9i upgrade documentation

You will want to look at this document from Metalink for more information, but the basic run down is:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=144804.1

1. Backup the target database (important, as the migration assistant failure can corrupt the database). This should be an OFFLINE backup, not an ONLINE backup, for safety.

2. Verify that the SYSTEM tablespace has enough free space (I would suggest that SYSTEM be about 300m if you are currently at 50-100m)

3. Setup enviroment to point to 9i Oracle Home. Setup DISPLAY enviroment variable if needed.

4. Run 'odma' from the ORACLE_HOME/bin directory. This will bring up a GUI window to walk you through the migration process. If you didn't backup the database, there is an option for it here, however this just copies the files to a different location. Most likely, your backup would be a better choice.

The 'odma' program will verify required space as well, and then perform the migration for you. Once it is done, you should perform another backup and then do testing. There is a manual migration in the document above, however I would recommend using the Migration Assistant first, as it requires alot less time and takes most of the guess work out.

If the migration fails, then you most likely will need to restore the database. It depends on where in the migration it fails. You can look at the logs for the migration in the OH/assistant/dbma directory.

Hope this helps,

Brian
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

From experience:

"current memory requirements" * (between 1.5 to 2.0) = 9i memory requirements

"current disk requirements" for just the database + 3.5GB = new 9i disk requirements

And of course the oracle 64bit libraries bite, so don't plan on using them too extensively, if at all.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

check this link and look at the last pdf for the 9i migration guide

http://www.oracle.com/appsnet/technology/upgrade/documentation/content.html

Thanks
Jim Carter_1
Advisor