Operating System - HP-UX
1752745 Members
4934 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: After install Oracle ,tunning HP-UX kernel parameter as Installation Document,What other parameter?

xiongye_2
Occasional Advisor

After install Oracle ,tunning HP-UX kernel parameter as Installation Document,What other parameter?

After install Oracle ,tunning HP-UX kernel parameter as Installation Document,What other parameter should I tunning? My N4000 have 4G mem,I allocate 2G mem to SGA,Can it be larger ?
Thanks !!
xysco
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: After install Oracle ,tunning HP-UX kernel parameter as Installation Document,What other parameter?

With 4GB of memory, set dbc_max to NO MORE than 10 and dbc_min to 5.

We would also need to know the NUMBER of USERS,
the kind of applications they are running,
the amount of resources those applications are consuming,
the expectations of the user community,
response times,
service level agreements,
the last digit of pi,
other applciations that are running,
type of backups,
type of disk,
speed of network,

it's just the beginning!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hello,

Did you go through the metalink document: Note: 108387.1?

There is a script that helps you configure your Kernel parameters - "unix InstallPrep script".

You also have a list of tasks listed in the Installation Guide (see section Post-installation)

Also, see the attached document which concerns: PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT TIPS FOR ORACLE ON UNIX

Hope these helps!
Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Allocating SGA is VERY dependent on whether you are running the 64bit version of Oracle. If not, there are severe restrictions on memory for SGA, starting at 1Gb, then 1.75Gb and finally at 2Gb. You'll need to read the white papers in /usr/share/doc about mem_mgt and proc_mgmt.

NOTE: If you are running 11.11, these papers were removed and now appear in http://docs.hp.com

For 64bit Oracle, there are no limitations on how big SGA can be (well, technically 8,000 Gb is the upper limit).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
xiongye_2
Occasional Advisor

I think sql tunning is also very important, I create two index on two columns on a sql statement mentioned, the speed is up 100 multiple, and change the two table order in one sql statement,also 100 multiple
xysco
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
It is not only depending on the parameters in the kernel and in the init.ora file.
The performance depends a lot on the quality
of the SQL-statements and the structure of the database. Use indexes for tables with large reading actions, think of properly set constraints ( primary keys, foreign keys ) etc.
Check the i/o behaviour of your database.
You will find some documents in the Metalink of Oracle.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor