1752780 Members
6329 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Am I missing something here?

Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

Am I missing something here?

I have been here for a while and find that points are given less and less. What are some of your opinions on the matter. I look at someone's profile here that gave points on 5 responses out of 149, and I'm just not going to bother. I know that I am being a little petty but it seems like a small thank you for taking time out of your day to help.
5 REPLIES 5
Steffi Jones_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

thanks for bringing this tipic up again.
There have been threads in the past covering this subject and it doesn't hurt to get a refresher :-)

I personally think it is important to assign points so that every reader knows which hint helped and/or fixed the problem.

This forum is not only a great way of contributing, but also a great place to learn new thinks or at least to think about long forgotten procedures. The threads don't really have much value if you don't know if the suggestions were correct or totally misleading.

Bye, Steffi Jones
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

We've talked about this subject before...to some length.
And yes it would be nice if everyone responded according with points. Especially to help point others to a post that gave a good solution to the problem. I know I've used that 'little bunny' pointer when I've needed an answer...
But as for myself...I have given lots of responses. Some I'd like to think were reasonable answers, and never got a point.
But today I got a forwarded message from Laurent (our Forums Admin)...a nice person who said " .. her answer may not have fixed the posters' issue, but it fixed mine" and they just wanted to send along a Thank You. For me that was a Symbolic 10. Thanks again John Dykes!!
So... I will try to keep this view " I answer cause I like to help and offer ideas or options to try....the points are just a nice extra bonus".

Just a thought,
Rita
Ajitkumar Rane
Trusted Contributor

Hey Mark thats good that you assigned only 1 point for the responses.Actually we are system admins and we should earn more points for our techinal replies than our general/ social replies.
I see member on the forum who when in trouble remember the forum but once their problms are solved they dont even bother to look back or think of assigning points to the people who took some time from busy schedules to answer them. Its not just an answer its a great help that comes your way wether it solves your problem or not.
But we have to accept this its a part of sysadmin life.
Amidsts difficulties lie opportunities
Karthik_2
Regular Advisor

Mark,
I understood the following things in my brief stint in the forum ...
*No way we can force people to do what they dont feel like doing .All we can do is appreciate those who award points and occasionaly have a "refresher " post about this .

*It is unjust when a post which u feel deserves a perfect 10 is left unassigned because the person who posted the question could not do it or has not bothered to do it.

Karthik...
Its ALL in the MATRIX
Mark Grossman
Regular Advisor

I also wish there were a way to assign points to others who have solved a problem for me even though I didnt open the problem. Although I dont open many questions (or respond to that many), I do read the forums daily, and we use them during installs and implementations quite often. Many of our problems have indeed been solved thru use of these forums. Perhaps I should send an email like the one Rita got - at least thats something. I am just hoping the forums continue - they are the best source of info i have found in my short tim(18 months) as a unix admin.
Mark