Operating System - HP-UX
1748259 Members
3756 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anyone out there running 11.58 of oracle apps with service guard?

SOLVED
Go to solution
wvsa
Regular Advisor

Anyone out there running 11.58 of oracle apps with service guard?

Good day all;

Looking for some input regarding running service guard with Oracle apps 11.58. We have a 3 tier environment, rp3440 application servers, a npar for the concurrent manager and another npar for the database (9.2.6), version 11.11 of os and 11.16 of serviceguard.

Is anyone using serviceguard to failover a database server in a 3tier oracle apps enviornment? Would very much like to hear how you are setup for failover.

Thanks for your help and input it is greatly appreciated.

Norm
5 REPLIES 5
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom Norm,

I've done similar work.

You will need to port the startup script so it handles environment correctly. Besides that its just a package that needs to be started.

I keep a copy if the oracle apps binaries local, not on shared storage.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
wvsa
Regular Advisor

Steven;

Thank you for your response, but as are aware a oracle 11.58 environment is brittle to say the least. Our 3 apps servers have many references to our production database server that are hardcoded - oracle feature. This is the same for our concurrent manager.
So if you failover the database server (Daniel) to another server (Rebekah) in order for the oracle apps environment to function seems to me your going to have to change the name of the server Rebekah to Daniel. Doing this I believer will blow serviceguard out of the water, the cluster of Daniel and Rebekah will no longer exist.

One more note in our environment you can't just run autoconfig and change all the ip and database server references in failover from Daniel to Rebekah our environment is to customized.

SOrry to be dense but I don't see how keeping a copy of the oracle binaries on a local drive helps, you have a copy of the binaries on local drive, if they are copies then they are not the binaries you use in production right?

Would like to hear thoughts

Norm
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

You're right about the server name.

I fixed it merely by running the Unix "hostname" command and setting the name of the server (when on the non-production node) to the name of the production node before actually starting any part of Oracle or Oracle Apps.

Also, I do move the binaries from machine to machine via the shared disk. This is contrary (as SEP pointed out) to the standard method. However, I do this purposely so that I don't have to manage another set of binaries patched up to the same level as the production system and somehow integrated into the database, and yet, not integrated (so that it doesn't appear that I patch twice into a single database). This is complicated in Oracle Apps (as opposed to most any other application that just "happens" to use Oracle).

So, move your ORACLE_HOME, APPL_TOP, COMMON_TOP along with your database files.

Have your script fix/modify the /etc/oratab file.

On the way up, set the "hostname" if the current value of "hostname" is not the name of the main production box. Example: "hostname myserver1" would change the name of the server (until reboot or reset back via the hostname command) to "myserver1".

Get your shared disks all mounted.

Start Oracle database.
Start your Oracle database listeners.
Start your Applications listeners.
Start your reports server.
Start your concurrent managers.
Start remaining custom components (if necessary).

Do steps necessary to get Oracle RMAN backups and archive log backups running correctly (adjust scripts, cron jobs, whatever you've got).
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
wvsa
Regular Advisor

Hey John;

Thanks for you reply very helpful. So let me clarify, we are using EVA's as our storage, this allows me to present the same virtual disk to multiple boxes, this is great for serviceguard, I use a quorum server. We have a 3 tier enviornment, apps servers a server for the concurrent manager and a server for the database. Let's say the database server which is in my serviceguard cluster fails and we failover to another server, where would I place the hostname command, I'm assuming in the .cntl file in the the customer defined functions? What about DNS, if you change the hostname do you change something in DNS? DNS would still be resolving to the failed servers ip address.

Again thanks for the reply, hope to hear back from you.

Norm Long
WOrld Vision
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I put the hostname command just before the starting of the applications, because the database itself doesn't seem to care that it was starting on another node at all. As long as the IP address for the listener.ora was the virtual one from the cluster.

It was in the script that I called to start the concurrent managers - from the package.cntl script that tests the hostname to see if it is not the main production one, and if not it changes it. This is done just before starting the conc mgrs.

Forgive me though on this topic, it's been a number of years since I've touched it, but it was right when we had converted to 11.5.8, so it should still be relevant.

Re: DNS - I don't use it on Oracle Database or Apps servers, have avoided it lo these many years.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett