5786 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Applying latest patch bundle with Oracle 7.3.2

Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Applying latest patch bundle with Oracle 7.3.2

Hey all,

We have 2 servers that have not had a GR patch bundle applied since June 1999. This weekend I have the opportunity to apply the latest patch bundles (HP-UX 10.20 btw). Each server runs Oracle 7.3.2.

Are there any gotchas or hints anyone can think of when patching an Oracle system? I seem to remember running into a problem with the dld.sl file somewhere along the way after applying a patch bundle.

Is there a best practice way of doing this? I'm not an Oracle guy, and there won't be anyone here on Sunday when I do this, so if there is a question in my mind, I'm not going to load the patches that relate to Oracle stuff.

Thanks in advance!

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
6 REPLIES 6
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Hi Tim,

Have your Oracle guy leave you the Oracle relink command to run. You can bet on one or more of the patches replacing a library that will affect the Oracle executable.

All the best,
Jim
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

OK. Change in plans...

This initially started out as just wanting to get the latest patches for the HP-PB 10/100 Base TX NIC so I could run it at 100 FULL. I got to thinking that since I'm already installing a patch and rebooting, why not get current on ALL the patches.

I have changed my mind. I will NOT be installing the latest patch bundle. This server will be rebuilt at 11i sometime in the next 2 months, and I'm not going to spend a Sunday chasing my tail.

So, please disregard the post unless you have tips on the patches I need for an HP-PB 10/100 Base TX card.

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Timothy:

You may need to relink your Oracle binaries after patching. I ran into problems with the 'dld.sl' library and Oracle 7.3.4.4 when I applied the March 2001 General Release patch bundle. The issues were easily resolved by relinking.

Regards!

...JRF...
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Timothy,

Not sure which patch you are installing but i would suggest PHNE_21884 since it is described as the Best Available patch, though this has been superceded by PHNE_23921

-Regards
Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

consider the following:
- 7.3.2 is not Y2K compliant minimum required is 7.3.4
- oracle shuts down customer care support for 8.0.6 and 8.1.6 in october this year!
- 8.1.7 executables are not availible for 10.20
- Even for 8.x releases there are diffrent executable versions for 10.20 and 11.x

I recommend to have a good migration plan in advance, to make sure, that you have all needed Oracle versions available. Check out for various dependencies concerning the intermediate oracle releases, if you plan to go to 8.1.7.

Hope this helps
Volker
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

At the very least, consider going to a terminal release of Oracle 7.x, i.e. 7.3.4.3.
If not, move to 8.1.7.2.1 which I believe is the terminal release for 8i. But get ready for a long migration process as there are a lot of changes in 8i and you need to migrate your instances from 7.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans