New Discussion юеВ

Archivelog directly to TAPE

SOLVED
Go to solution
mehul_3
Regular Advisor

Archivelog directly to TAPE

The question is of two-fold
Firstly,can I archive directly to TAPE as a secondry archive log destination as below
set log_archive_dest_1 = /dev/rmt/0m:100M
Having done this, is this affects performance on oracle database at peak hours
Secondly,in case of some reason(E.g say DAT drive may be corrupted) suppose secondry archive destination may not be available and as such is oracle database would be in halt state?..

Waiting for reply

Rgds,
Mehul
4 REPLIES 4
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Archivelog directly to TAPE

Hi Mehul,

First: your destination must be the no-rewind device, otherwise, each copy will overwrite the previous one.
Second: you can control the number of required successfull copies with log_archive_min_succeed_dest.

I must say, that I would not favor to do it this way, because it would be very difficult to "find" a specific log if this is required for whatever reason. You might need to keep track with which log the archiver did start and how many redologs have been written.
Get a second disk of some GB and do a migration to tape from there.
It will be easier to be managed.
Best regards
Volker
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would not recommend to archive directly to tape :
1. Recovery time would take much longer as you would have to take the archive back from a tape
2. You may create archiver busy wait and therefore impact database performance and availability.

Also, the tape drive does not have resilience you can have if your disk system is raided or if you mirror the disks dedicated for archive.

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

I would also advise to read Metalink Note:45042.1 " Archiver Best Practices "

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi mehul,

as mentioned by Jean-luc, you should archive to a rather fast device. Because during high load, it may impact on performance.

As for the archive destination not being available, as long as you have one destination available, your database will not hang! Error messages will be automatically logged in you alert.log.

also have a look atthe backup and recovery guide at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/index.htm

good luck!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)