1753762 Members
4785 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Auditing & Security within SAM

Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Auditing & Security within SAM

I just finished up converting 4 systems to Trusted Systems and all has gone flawlessly until now. I'm on the 5th (last) system and there is no "Auditing & Security" button in SAM. You may say, not a problem: Just run /usr/lbin/tsconvert. I have, and the system is now Trusted. I guess while I finish up editing all these accounts somebody might be able to fill me in on the missing button issue?
Is "Auditing and Security" a subsystem? There are no filters or weird sorts on within SAM, oh where oh where could it be?

TIA... Jim

Hindsight is 20/20
5 REPLIES 5
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Auditing & Security within SAM

Hi Jim,

Compare the file /usr/sam/lib/C/sam.cb against that in other systems.

You might be missing a SAM patch. You can even copy /usr/sam from other system to this system. Remember to take a backup of the current directory.

You can use the command "modprdef" to change the system settings globally. For ex., to un-expire all the accounts, you would us

/usr/lbin/modprpw -m "exptm=0"

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi (again)

Fat fingered. Use 'modprdef' to change the settings systemwide.

/usr/lbin/modprdef -m "exptm=0" to unexpire the passwords.

modprpw is to be used 'per user'.

-Sri
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Sridhar...
I copied /usr/sam/ from a working 10.20 system and it still didn't work. I even tried bringing over /etc/sam/
I checked the patching and reinstalled the latest sam/obam patch just to be sure and it's not showing. I checked that .cb file you mentioned and the label is in there, just no icon coming up when I start SAM.
What's weird is I can start it using the information from the .cb file:
/usr/sam/lbin/samx -C -p %d -s ts_events /usr/sam/lib/C/ts.ui
...and it works fine. It's not critical at this point, so I'm moving on with the command you gave me.
Thanks for the corrected info on the command.
Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Just an FYI in case anybody runs into this issue:
I was able to use the information in:
/usr/sam/lib/C/sam.cb
and rebuild a Custom Application Group for "Auditing and Security" and Custom Applications within it.
I'd still be interested in anybodies ideas why the original button may have disappeared in SAM.

Thanks for pointing out that file Sridhar.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Check /etc/sam directory and compare *.db files with the other systems. You can take a backup of this directory and copy /etc/sam from some other directory too.

There could be a number of reasons why this component may be missing. It looks for the icon ts_grp.pm. It may take time to find out what is missing on the system. DO a swverify on "swverify SecurityMon.SECURITY" and "SystemAdmin.SAM" and look for errors in swagent.log

BTW, it is missing even in the non-graphical sam too?. It may only the icon that is missing.

-Sri