6034 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Available size of /dev/vg00/lvol3 (/)

Kerry_1
Contributor

Available size of /dev/vg00/lvol3 (/)

Dear all
I have 9GB hard disk. So I must to install HP-UX11i on it and I must to provide about 2GB available disk space for /dev/vg00/lvol3 (/). The only way I know is to use "Advanced Installation (recommended for disk and filesystem management)" option during the system installation. So using this option I delete all file systems except /swap /stand and /. It allows me to provide only 1084956Kb available in /. So is there any way to make / available space much more, not using reinstalling of installed products?
Thanks
Kerry
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Available size of /dev/vg00/lvol3 (/)

Why are you using just 3 mount points? It is MUCH easier to manage if you leave /opt, /usr, /var, etc. as their own mount points. You can then allocate space as appropriate to each mount point. In that case your / partition doesn't need to be but around 100MB or so.

Kenneth_18
Frequent Advisor

During your system installtion in the advance settings, there is also an option to set the size of the logical volume being created. You should modify this setting by selecting fixed MB and setting the size of 2048 MB and then press modify.

However, assuming that you have already installed the os, you can try to extend the logical volume using the "lvextend" command. Just make sure that there is enough available physicals extents free in your volume group.

You can check for the LE and PE available by doing a lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol3.
Kenneth_18
Frequent Advisor

Just to add to my earlier post, do a vgdisplay /dev/vg00 to check the available extents in the volume group. Then to an lvextend -l (to specify size interms of le/pe or lvextend -L to specify size in MB. By default, 1 PE or LE is equal to 4MB. So your command should be lvextend -l 512 /dev/vg00/lvol3